1975.... The Beginning of the End

ReneRobert

Reading the D and C article today on 1975 really got me thinking. It was fun reflecting on how good the Sabres were that Spring, and on the other good sports news at the time. Then, however (an old WNY reflex), the dark clouds of gloomy memory began gathering.....

It all looked so good in May 1975, and the Fall was even better... the Sabres won their first 8, the Bills their first 4, the Braves started strong. Then came the crash:

Starting with that Monday Night Debacle against the Giants, the Bills were exposed as a team with no defense. That, combined with two heartbreaking losses to the Dolphins (including the Mercury Morris Rob Job), meant they faded and missed the playoffs (though still had a winning record at 8-6).... By the end of the season, OJ was talking retirement, Lou Saban was ready to leave again, and 1976 would be a 2-12 disaster....

The Braves made the playoffs again, but could not get past the Celtics, and we all know how that turned out....

The Sabres of course showed that they were a fantastic regular season team (though they could not get past the Bruins for the Adams Division Crown), but the 1975-76 season ended in disappointment at the hands of the Islanders. They, not the Sabres, became the expansion team that rose to dominance. (Of course, helped by the Sabres' decision to pass on Mike Bossy a couple years later....).

Even beyond sports, 1975 was, in retrospect, the beginning of the end for the WNY economy as the recession started to influence industry, leading to empty factories and emptying towns.....

Maybe the Sabres can lead the cosmic turnaround in 2007? Maybe......

Hope is the thing with feathers that flies above our cares.

While I really enjoyed the D&C article I had a couple of thoughts - my body didn't feel like it was 1975 when I got off the treadmill this morning and, hockey related, while 75 was an unexpected "magic" year for the Sabres, 76 was filled with expectations and ended with a crushing loos to the Isles. If you are comparing eras, wasn't last year the unexpected, wild, fun ride for our team. Does that mean that this year, full of high expectations will end as did 76?

Gee, how heart lifting. Maybe next time you could just stop by my office and take a dump on my desk.

But he's right. A lot of people like to recall the 1970s as a glory "era" for the Sabres, but it really was a nice honeymoon period, a very special 1972-73 season, a run to the finals in 75 and then five years of choking in the playoffs. Where do you work Ray? I'd be glad to come by if Rene can't make it.

Gee, how heart lifting. Maybe next time you could just stop by my office and take a dump on my desk.

Coming from a guy who is usually pretty doom and gloom on the Bills and Sabres, I take that as a compliment....

Actually, though the article depressed me, I remain hopeful. The key to happiness is not to ignore the bad, but not to allow the bad things to rob you of hope.

Hope is the essense of fandom.

Well, hope and.... :beer:

While I really enjoyed the D&C article I had a couple of thoughts - my body didn't feel like it was 1975 when I got off the treadmill this morning and, hockey related, while 75 was an unexpected "magic" year for the Sabres, 76 was filled with expectations and ended with a crushing loos to the Isles. If you are comparing eras, wasn't last year the unexpected, wild, fun ride for our team. Does that mean that this year, full of high expectations will end as did 76?

A good question. History, however, does not repeat itself. Historians do. :D

What remains constant is the capacity of events to shock and disappoint. That and human stupidity, of course.

I have no idea if this year will be as bad as 1976. I certainly hope not. As Camus wrote, even Sisyphus was an optimist. :)

Archived