5 on 3 - Briere at the right point???

SDS

I did not see the 5 on 3 as i was at work. My guess would be that he was filling in a spot replaced by someone else for an extended period. If that was not the case, maybe it would be to have his stick side against the boards so he could prevent a low clear. You know i am ignorant to most of the strategic nuances of the game at this point, but this is the only rational explanation i could come up with.

I did not see the 5 on 3 as i was at work. My guess would be that he was filling in a spot replaced by someone else for an extended period. If that was not the case, maybe it would be to have his stick side against the boards so he could prevent a low clear. You know i am ignorant to most of the strategic nuances of the game at this point, but this is the only rational explanation i could come up with.

not on a 5-3 (or even a 5-4). Everyone needs to be on their offside for the potential shot.

On the ice at that time was Briere, Drury, Roy, Pommers and Vanek. 4 Righties and a Lefty (Roy). That may be the reason why there was a right handed shot at the right point. Although i am guessing this opens it up to why is there 4 righties on the ice at the time. A lefty d man could have been useful. 3 Lefties are out of the lineup at that point, Max, Spacek, Goose, and another lefty is Peters who wouldn't be on the PP. I'll stop rambling now.

It's not that important as to LH v RH. From where Briere was located, a lefty is not going to pull a clear off the boards and rifle a shot anyway. Especially in a two-man advantage situation. If a righty picks up a clear on that side on his backhand, the option for the dump down low is there and possession is maintained. A righty on the off side (or a lefty on the other) is set up nicely for a one-timer, particularly so as the attacking team slowly works a defending triangle tighter to their own goal.

On a semi-related note, maybe some of you hockey experts can explain why we handle passes so poorly. It drives me crazy almost every game. We handle the puck like a cow handles a gun. It seems like it's just the old death grip on the stick, but maybe it's bad ice too. I see it on the road as well, however. The hallmark of this team last year and early this year were crisp breakout passes, the uncanny ability to operate in space, know where you teammate is going to be, make bang bang plays. We just seem like another slow, plodding team that plays by the numbers -- player A to player B... pause... player B to player C... fumbles the puck... player C to... you get the idea. I can't put my finger on it. Can somehow make sense of this thought for me?

It's not that important as to LH v RH. From where Briere was located, a lefty is not going to pull a clear off the boards and rifle a shot anyway. Especially in a two-man advantage situation. If a righty picks up a clear on that side on his backhand, the option for the dump down low is there and possession is maintained. A righty on the off side (or a lefty on the other) is set up nicely for a one-timer, particularly so as the attacking team slowly works a defending triangle tighter to their own goal.

this confused the hell out of me. At 1st it sounds like you are disagreeing with me, then your last sentence says exactly what I said.

Who were you replying to?

On the PP, especially 5 on 3 - LH vs. RH definitely matters.... not so much 5 on 5.

If you are not set up to take a shot - then you don't need to be defended like the others. Why worry about Briere at the point when passes from the left make him turn his body? We put our best goal scorer in the worst position to score at that time... Color me confused.

this confused the hell out of me. At 1st it sounds like you are disagreeing with me, then your last sentence says exactly what I said.

Who were you replying to?

On the PP, especially 5 on 3 - LH vs. RH definitely matters.... not so much 5 on 5.

If you are not set up to take a shot - then you don't need to be defended like the others. Why worry about Briere at the point when passes from the left make him turn his body? We put our best goal scorer in the worst position to score at that time... Color me confused.

A righty on the left point is fine in a 5-3. Many coaches prefer it. A righty on the left point would need to turn his body for a one-timer coming from low on the same side. That shot is not what you want on a 5-3. The goalie would already be squared up. A righty taking a one-timer from the left point off a cross-ice feed is preferable, particularly as the defending triangle is being forced low, as the goalie is required to move across the goal-mouth. Think Kotalik, last year anyway.

I almost bought a book on positional strategies last night to answer this question. Then i grabbed some hot pockets.

Just wait a couple months and you can pick up a copy of my new release:

"From Webmaster to Hockeymaster: An up close and personal look at one man's premature mid-life crisis".

Archived