30 indoor sheets of ice in Ottawa?

SDS

Ottawa just had kids tournament and had 510 teams, some from Russia! Ottawa has 30 sheets of ice to support it all! :o

The team from Russia arrived and their equipment didn't... :doh: Plat it Again Sports outfitted them and the Senators donated jerseys (little kids wearing full size adult jerseys :lol: )

Anyhow, I am just amazed at the number of sheets of ice in Ottawa.

Ottawa is a beautiful city. Spotless. I went there on business. The Rideout? Rideau? Canal freezes and people ice skate to work! Parliament Hill and the views of the river are gorgeous. There is also a very luxurious hotel (can't remember the name) near parliament that is worth visiting for lunch at least, just to check out the architecture.

Since it's the nation's capital, a lot of people that I met complained a lot about them not having cushy government jobs that require no skills but compensate them well for merely existing, but mostly people are very friendly and proud of their city and country. Try the poutine.

There are also some terrific ballet troupes in Ottawa and nearby Hull, Quebec, or so I've heard.

Ottawa is an awesome city. Anywhere people commute to work on skates gets an A in my book. People really know how to get the most out of winter there; and when Spring finally breaks they have a beautiful Tulip Festival. Lots of great outdoor oriented infrastructure for people to use in summer too, they just know how to live and the government supports it.

Im going to Ottawa later this month for the Sabres game.... from all i've heard it's a great city! They freeze a canal in downtown and make it into the world's longest skating rink... like 7 miles long. Crazy! I can't wait to go!

Nevermind sheets of ice in northern Canada, lets talk locks and dams... Slackwater systems baby!

The story goes years ago when the Senators won the Stanley Cup, I think they were the Sens?... The team went out partying and ditched the Cup in the Rideau... The next morning after sobering up they had second doubts... Good thing the canal was frozen because there lie the SC on top of the ice!

As a lock and dam operator by trade... I am impressed with the set of flight locks that the city has... I am pretty sure they are all pre-concrete days... Pre Portland days... So they are made out of all cut stone??? Quite a feat by the Royal sappers and minors of the early 19th century when building the canal to bypass the American border at the St. Lawrence with a paranoid feeling that the Americans would try and take the heart of British Canada...

All valves and gates were operated by hand with hand cranks (crabs) hence the most lift (head) you could achieve was about 5 feet... Therefore you have the series of flight lock that take you to the Ottawa River... Not one massive chamber...

Do a search for the hydraulic lock at Peterborough... Pretty cool stuff...!!!

:D

Nevermind sheets of ice in northern Canada, lets talk locks and dams... Slackwater systems baby!

The story goes years ago when the Senators won the Stanley Cup, I think they were the Sens?... The team went out partying and ditched the Cup in the Rideau... The next morning after sobering up they had second doubts... Good thing the canal was frozen because there lie the SC on top of the ice!

As a lock and dam operator by trade... I am impressed with the set of flight locks that the city has... I am pretty sure they are all pre-concrete days... Pre Portland days... So they are made out of all cut stone??? Quite a feat by the Royal sappers and minors of the early 19th century when building the canal to bypass the American border at the St. Lawrence with a paranoid feeling that the Americans would try and take the heart of British Canada...

All valves and gates were operated by hand with hand cranks (crabs) hence the most lift (head) you could achieve was about 5 feet... Therefore you have the series of flight lock that take you to the Ottawa River... Not one massive chamber...

Do a search for the hydraulic lock at Peterborough... Pretty cool stuff...!!!

:D

Ok, thank you "Toll Booth Willie" !!!!

Ok, thank you "Toll Booth Willie" !!!!

Hey around these parts (not so sure about Ontario though) there is no "toll" at that booth... So there is no need to get nasty... Just move on through free of charge!

Believe it or not... Thanks to the The Northwest Ordinance (1787), some things in that document are still honored today... One being:

Article IV:

...The navigable waters leading into the Mississippi and Saint Lawrence, and the carrying places between the same, shall be common highways, and forever free, as well to the inhabitants of the said territory as to the citizens of the United States, and those of any other States that may be admitted into the confederacy, without any tax, impost, or duty therefore.

Again... Not sure if Canada honors it?... I would assume that would be the Rideau and Ottawa too?... Here in the states, the precedent STILL holds... Don't know why Canada wouldn't follow the US in honoring it?... The pricks charge a toll through the Welland...

:nana: :nana:

Archived