Interesting si.com article

topshelfcookies

I posted something similar yesterday....

http://forums.sabrespace.com/index.php...indpost&p=65256

Everyone has trades with someone from our roster. If the Sabres think that by picking up a couple studs by the trade deadline would really improve their chances on winning the cup. They might give up some of their top prospects in a trade. They know they may not be in this position again for awhile. And were not going keep this high of a payroll past next year.

I think the problem with this season is that while the Sabres will be a different team next season, this isn't truly the "last gasp" for this group of guys. While Briere or Drury might not be back, the Sabres certainly won't part with BOTH. While getting some veteran help for the playoffs this year will be expensive, it's not as easy as saying that the Sabres won't be in this position again for a while. Miller, Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Campbell, Gaustad, Tallinder and Max are all just beginning to come into their own. Oh, and Connolly will hopefully be back to top shape by next season. Truth is, the Sabres are pretty well stacked to be competitive for at least the next 2-3 years. So do you risk losing a couple high draft picks (which have generally panned out under Darcy) and risk tossing away players like Stafford or Sekerja who will be making a large impact on the team in the seasons to come?

Tough decision.

I think the problem with this season is that while the Sabres will be a different team next season, this isn't truly the "last gasp" for this group of guys. While Briere or Drury might not be back, the Sabres certainly won't part with BOTH. While getting some veteran help for the playoffs this year will be expensive, it's not as easy as saying that the Sabres won't be in this position again for a while. Miller, Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Campbell, Gaustad, Tallinder and Max are all just beginning to come into their own. Oh, and Connolly will hopefully be back to top shape by next season. Truth is, the Sabres are pretty well stacked to be competitive for at least the next 2-3 years. So do you risk losing a couple high draft picks (which have generally panned out under Darcy) and risk tossing away players like Stafford or Sekerja who will be making a large impact on the team in the seasons to come?

Tough decision.

You nailed it.

It's a very tough call (especially with where the Sabres are on the salary cap horizon) whether to add someone or not. I'm not convinced this team (especially if Timmy comes back at 80%+) doesn't have what it takes to win it all right on the current roster.

They might give up some of their top prospects in a trade. They know they may not be in this position again for awhile.

What we give up in any trade this year will depend on TC's status, due to the cap implications. If TC comes back, they have to move someone on the roster to make room for whatever veteran they add - there is no way they can move a prospect and pick up a veteran rental AND get TC back. A prospect could be added to sweeten the pot, but I wouldn't give up too much for a veteran leader.

Tough decision.

I think you're right, that the Sabres are pretty well stacked to be very competitive over the next couple years (assuming Miller doesn't melt down <_<). Personally, I don't think guys like Paille, MacArthur, Stafford and Card/Funk should be considered in any trade, as those are the guys that closest to being ready to step in full time when we lose guys like Hecht, Teppo, etc.

I think Darcy needs to remember that anything can happen in the offseason, and that no matter how well-stacked with talent any organization is, there are no guarantees that they'll even make the playoffs next year, so if he has a chance to improve the team without completely mortgaging the future, he needs to pull the trigger.

You nailed it.

It's a very tough call (especially with where the Sabres are on the salary cap horizon) whether to add someone or not. I'm not convinced this team (especially if Timmy comes back at 80%+) doesn't have what it takes to win it all right on the current roster.

It is a tough call, but right now I am wondering if the Sabres DO have what it takes to win it all on the current roster. I really think they need someone to help push them over the top, a veteran leader (or two) who knows what it takes to make it through the 16 wins necessary to win the Cup.

Archived