Vanek Goodness

mrruin

allright, it looks like our local paper has done a big three part series about Thomas Vanek in Buffalo. Hope some of you enjoy it, I will continue to post and translate local articles in the future.

part one

source and video

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/ei...19769/index.do

----------------------------------------------

Thomas Vanek: It's pretty hard being an NHL-Star

Training, interviews, fotoshooting, relaxing, playing - thats a day in the life of austrian hockey star Thomas Vanek.

In the shortest time Thomas Vanek from Graz, Austria has become a star in the NHL and is celebrated as a hero not only in Buffalo. However there is not much time to enjoy this newfound status because life as an NHL star is stressy. The alarm usually rings at 830am for the 23 year old and around 915am he is at the rink to take a ride on the bike with his teammates and doing stretching excercises together. Around 1000am to 1030am Sabres-coach Lindy Ruff gets the team on the ice for practice, all of this is daily watched closely by several camera crews and journalists.

Halfnaked Interviews. After around 45 minutes everything is over again. "It does not make sense to practice much longer with that many players participating" explains Vanek. Following the ice training the real test comes, because thats when a whole crowd of journalists streams into the sabres locker room. Everyone is allowed to ask the halfnaked, sweating players for interviews. Isn't that annoying? "No problem, you are getting used to everything.It is part of my job." assures Vanek and adds: "Here in Buffalo it is only half as bad. If you play in Toronto you have around a hundred reporters in the locker room and you cannot move around anymore at all. I imagine that is really tough on you."

And off he goes - a fotoshooting for the team is next. Exhaustion is gone, a smile is back on his lips. Being an NHL-star also means being a bit of a showman. Even with all the stress Vanek has still time for his fans - just as he wants to leave the arena in his car a few fans are asking for his signature, he opens the window to sign for the sabres supporters. Once that is done Vanek can think about his own enjoyment - for example food. "Sometimes I go to a restaurant with my teammates, sometimes alone. And every now and then I cook for myself." Cooking for yourself? "Oh yeah. Ok, pasta or something - nothing super special," smiles austrias hockey export number one.

Relaxing. After eating its time to relax a little. "In front of the TV or I call some friends, my parents or my girlfriend in Minnesota. I also enjoy games on the X-Box," reveals Vanek. However his time to relax falls often victim to more interview requests. "Because there are more and more reporters coming from austria. Stressy, but it is also a nice recognition. I just meet with them somewhere, I rarely take someone home with me - otherwise I would have strangers here every day."

A game every other day. In the evening almost every other day games are on his schedule, . The players have to be at the arena at least two hours before faceoff. But even without a game there is little time for private fun. "I almost never go out in the evenings. Maybe to the cinema or dinner with teammates and afterwards a beer - thats the extent of my fun. You need your sleep after all," says the man with number 26.

part two

source + pics

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/ei...19769/index.do

------------------------------------------

"The Stanley Cup, that would be it!"

Austria's NHL-Star Thomas Vanek turned 23 yesterday. The birthday kid is talking about the missed All-Star nomination, his quiet self and his dreams and goals.

Thoams Vanek Interview

Playing wise it is almost going perfectly for you. You have even been promoted to the first line from the coach, but you have missed the All-Star game by a little bit - disappointed?

TV: No not at all. I am proud about the many votes I got even though the league hasn't even nominated me for fan voting. Moreover I am going to play at the Young All-Star game, thats not bad either. There is still time to get to the real All-Star game (in the future).

Modest as always. You are known for your quiet nature, right?

TV: Yes that's likely true. At least I have never made much ado about myself.

Thats what other people do for you by now. Did you know that your fans in Austria have organised on the internet to collect votes to get you to the All-Star game?

TV: Yes I have noticed that. It is something that has made me very happy and I was postively surprised. It is a nice recognition.

In Buffalo you are a Star - are you getting more feedback from Austria too?

TV: There are many inquiries about signatures and more and more requests for interviews. Sometimes that can be stressy because you answer the same questions over and over every day, but I try to take my time for everybody.

Speaking of Austria: There are rumors you are already a citizen of the US or at least a double citizen (US and Austria)

TV: I have no idea where that is coming from. I am Austrian, I live here with a normal work visa. The one thing I would like to have is a green card which would save me a lot of running around to get my visa. But even if I would become a double citizen, because I want to live in america, I will never give up the austrian citizenship. And I will always play for the austrian national team exclusivly.

And the NHL? Always Buffalo or is there a favorite team you would like to get traded to sometime?

TV: At the moment I am simply happy that my dream of playing in the NHL has come true. No matter where. Maybe later in my career I would enjoy playing in Minnesota because I have built a house there and all my friends and my girlfriend live there. But I have no dream club.

----------------------------------------------------------------

part three:

for pics and source go here

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/ei...23433/index.do

The pumkin seed oil (styrian specialty) pipeline at the villa Vanek

A visit at the appartment of NHL-highflyer Thomas Vanek, who emerges as a real houseman.

From the city center it takes around 15 minutes to get to Williamsville, a suburb of Buffalo. That is where austrias NHL-Export Thomas Vanek lives. Parked at the driveway is a big Cadillac-Jeep and once you open the front door you will be greeted instantly by "Diesel". He pants happily and when he jumps he almost gets up to your knees. "Diesel" is a Shi-Tzu, explains Vanek, and the styrian's companion since 8 months ago.

"I have had a dog since I have been a kid, I have grown up with dogs." says Vanek and adds:" He is not always here, my girlfriend takes him with her to Minnesota sometimes." If there is no time to watch the dog the neighbour's wife will take care of "Diesel". That would be the girlfriend of fellow sabre Ales Kotalik who lives right next door. Just like defenseman Brian Campbell and forward Jason Pominville - a real hockey settlement.

The two story house has been bought one and a half years ago by Vanek, even though he already has one in Minnesota. "Should I play somewhere else at some point I will simply sell it. That is no problem in the USA. And real estate value is rising at the moment," clarifies Vanek. All the furnishing has been done together with girlfriend Ashley. "Who else should have done it? In the NHL no club is helping you with something like this, they will not look for an appartment for you. You have to do everything by yourself," says the 23 year old.

Taking matters into his own hands he also has nobody to clean for him. "Most of the time I am alone so there is not much to clean up," says an NHL-Star who washes and irons his laundry, just like he is used to do since his college days. And he also cooks:" Pasta, grill some meat - thats enough." He seems to have talent as houseman, everything is super clean, nothing is lying around. Neither in front of the chimney nor on the black leather sofa or the light grey sofa chairs. The kitchen which is connected to the living room without any speration has also been cleaned top notch.

Thomas proudly presents his pumpkin seed oil reserve, which his parents are keeping updated all the time - he has just stayed a real styrian. But there is a price for the "pumpkin seed oil pipeline". Vanek doesnt have a showcase or something similar for his trophies. "If I won something my parents have always taken it with them to Graz. Thats ok with me, I dont need the stuff anyway right now - maybe I will get it back sometime later."

"There is only time during the summer for my hobbies golfing and fishing, during the season there is no time at all for either." Cinema, going out for dinner or watching movies at home (over 100 dvds are stored next to the TV set) thats all the sins the youngstar has. Really? "Well, I am playing a lot of Xbox, mostly Tiger Woods Golf or war strategy games," revelas Vanek. Going out in the evenings is a rarity and he doesnt really miss it either:" I have made my hobby of playing hockey to my job, I dont need anything else."Except his girlfriend Ashley who comes to visit around every other week. His parents only pay rare visits, mostly only twice a year. The rest of the time he is alone with "Diesel".

IS it boring sometimes? "Ok, Buffalo is not NYC, Boston or Chicago, it doesnt have as many attractions or sightseeing. Downtown Bufflo is also not the greatest. But I still get everything I need to live well. You can go out to eat well, the people are always friendly and are happy if they can pat you on the back when you are shopping, however they are never pushy - I really enjoy living in Buffalo."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

thats it, hope somebody reads it Its an amateur translation so be gentle...

"I almost never go out in the evenings. Maybe to the cinema or dinner with teammates and afterwards a beer - thats the extent of my fun. You need your sleep after all,"

I work at the movie theatre on Transit and Ive seen Vanek there a few times with Kalinin and Max with him...

It's too bad Vanek did not even try in last nights youngstars game. Most of the players were very lazy but Vanek was blatantly loafing. He could have had a couple goals if he tried. I love the guy but sheesh!,,,that was a joke.

Would you rather have him try so hard that he pulls a groin that bothers him the rest of the year?

My big concern with this whole thing is injury to any of our guys.

Would you rather have him try so hard that he pulls a groin that bothers him the rest of the year?

My big concern with this whole thing is injury to any of our guys.

Of course not...that's not my point. It just would have been nice to see him skate a little bit and not coast the whole game. He can just as easily pull a groin stepping off the airplane. Seems like Kessel and Parise were skating ...but not to pick on Vanek, very few others were.

Archived