Sabres vs Edmonton

gkozlows

I thought it was an interesting move that a team with Michael Peca on it requested a measuring of Kotalik's stick with 5 minutes remaining in Monday's game.

I don't recall that Kotalik was with the Sabres yet when Peca was still there. I still wouldn't be surprised that Peca had something to do with it.

<_<

I agree with you that there was more behind that call. I had the Edmonton broadcast, and I posted the message below during the game.

Posted: Jan 16 2006, 11:24 PM

Interesting. The Edmonton announcers commented that they watched Ales shape his sticks this afternoon.

Hey man, the broadcast team is a TEAM. And if they're the home team, why wouldn't you tell the coach?

You don't think RJ+JL aren't rooting for the Sabres???

The one thing that Canadian Broadcasters do, and that I'm proud to say RJ+JL do that I haven't seen many of the American Teams Broadcasters do is be objective in their calling of a game...

The lightning broadcast duo are the worst at this, and whenever they comment on a game, their love of the lightning overshadows everything they're saying and makes them sound like ignorant FL Hockey Fans, which I'm getting used to.

I mean, RJ and JL they want Buffalo to win, but when Buffalo makes a stupid play they call them out on it. I really think we have the best broadcast teams in the country, but mad props to the Oilers broadcast duo, they were very good. (I had to watch the game at BW3's, since Tallahassee doesn't have a Buffalo Sports bar.)

And if they tipped the coach off to Ales' stick, then even more mad props, that's very observant.

Guest Blah Blah Blah

It seems that far more often than not, the team that charges a player with using an illegal stick is the home team...which leads me to believe that most of the time it's a broken stick tossed into a garbage can during the morning skate that gets found by somebody and connected to the player in question...

I wonder why some teams and players don't strategically use "dummy" sticks in pregame skates...say their game stick is just barely legal but in practice they use one that's identical in appearance but barely illegal...a guy tries a one-timer in the morning skate, his stick shatters, the home team's crew "disposes" of it directly to their teams coaching staff, and at a critical time in the game the coach calls for a stick measurement on said player...only during the game the player is using his legal stick which to the naked eye is imperceptible. Instead of a power play against the Sabres when they're nursing a lead late in the 3rd, it's a power play for them. I bet this could work 2, 3, maybe 4 times in the course of the season, and if it comes at a critical juncture of the game could help you pick up a couple of points in the standings.

Furthermore, if it works say 3 or 4 times in a year it'll get around the league and coaches will be afraid to challenge the team's skaters...and if that becomes the case, then players can use whatever the hell kind of stick they want because they no nobody's gonna challenge them on it. Oh well, just a thought.

Hey man, the broadcast team is a TEAM. And if they're the home team, why wouldn't you tell the coach?

You don't think RJ+JL aren't rooting for the Sabres???

The one thing that Canadian Broadcasters do, and that I'm proud to say RJ+JL do that I haven't seen many of the American Teams Broadcasters do is be objective in their calling of a game...

The lightning broadcast duo are the worst at this, and whenever they comment on a game, their love of the lightning overshadows everything they're saying and makes them sound like ignorant FL Hockey Fans, which I'm getting used to.

I mean, RJ and JL they want Buffalo to win, but when Buffalo makes a stupid play they call them out on it. I really think we have the best broadcast teams in the country, but mad props to the Oilers broadcast duo, they were very good. (I had to watch the game at BW3's, since Tallahassee doesn't have a Buffalo Sports bar.)

And if they tipped the coach off to Ales' stick, then even more mad props, that's very observant.

You thought Edmonton had good announcers? I think I have to disagree on that. They had way too much analysis during gameplay, and I think they were pretty biased when it came to what penalties they wanted called. They ignored obvious hooking calls that the refs let go, and at the same time they wanted Roy called for diving.

Wasn't it Ray Ferrero doing color for the Oil?? I thought he gave credit to the Sabres overall.

But nothing like Rick & Jim. I agree, they will tear into the Sabres when they make a dumb play. I also like Bob Cole and Harry Neal, even if they are "Leafers".

Wasn't it Ray Ferrero doing color for the Oil?? I thought he gave credit to the Sabres overall.

But nothing like Rick & Jim. I agree, they will tear into the Sabres when they make a dumb play. I also like Bob Cole and Harry Neal, even if they are "Leafers".

Yeah, it was Ferraro. I thought they were a little biased, especially when it came to officiating. The refs missed some calls on both sides, but they only seemed upset about it when it was a Sabre. Rick and Jim will always make a comment like "He got away with one there" no matter which team it was.

My main complaint was they spent way too much time talking to each other. As I posted in the game thread that night, the game appeared to be getting in the way of their discussion.

Tampa has by far the worst announcers.

See, I liked the EDM announcers talking to each other. I'm knowledgeable enough about the game as i'm sure you all are to know what's going on.. that's how they do it in Canada, everyone knows what's going on, so the announcers are more hype men and background noise.

Tampa has by far the worst announcers.

See, I liked the EDM announcers talking to each other. I'm knowledgeable enough about the game as i'm sure you all are to know what's going on.. that's how they do it in Canada, everyone knows what's going on, so the announcers are more hype men and background noise.

Hype men sounds a lot like cheerleader though.

I particularly thought they were biased when it came to penalties. They yelled and screamed about Pominville tripping someone at center ice, but at another point Smyth blatently hooked Afinigenov, and they didn't say a word about the play.

How blatent was it? Max skated past Smyth, Smyth put his stick on the body, Max comes almost to a complete stop...

Archived