Fantastic Shootout Goal

topshelfcookies

It was a nice night for hockey. After watching the Sabres highlights and postgame coverage I flipped over to the VS game which featured the Blackhawks and Wild, just as the OT session was ending.

The ensuing shootout was one of the better shootouts I've seen, with some great goals. The first was by this kid from Chicago, Hamilton (triple deke), followed up by Koivu roofing a sharp backhand over Khabibulin.

The shootout was won by Minnesota on a rediculous goal by Pierre Bouchard. He came in real wide, then cut across the net, slammed on the brakes and spun around. While falling down in the crease with Khabibulin almost on top of him, he slid the puck past him on the backhand. I'm sure it'll be all over SportsCenter tomorrow, though Barry Melrose will probably be talking about in an ugly suit and greasy hair.

Make sure you see this goal.

Way too much effort and work for a goal that could be scored much easier. I don't know why many players try to do so many fancy things, when majority of the goals in the shootouts are simple. Once players try to do crazy things, thats when they make mistakes.

He scored and good for him, it worked, and it looked crazy, but, are you telling me Bouchard can't score on a breakaway unless he tries a crazy spin-o-rama on Bulin?? That would get me worried....

Way too much effort and work for a goal that could be scored much easier. I don't know why many players try to do so many fancy things, when majority of the goals in the shootouts are simple. Once players try to do crazy things, thats when they make mistakes.

He scored and good for him, it worked, and it looked crazy, but, are you telling me Bouchard can't score on a breakaway unless he tries a crazy spin-o-rama on Bulin?? That would get me worried....

Sounded like they were in the sixth round?

Regardless, wow...

It's the kind of stuff, like it or not, that will attract new fans (and revenue) to the sport. Less intelligent beings can't appreciate developing plays or good passing, but these type of highlight reel shots will capture attention.

Now that fighting is a thing of the past, shootouts are the stuff of the NHL's representation on Sportscenter.

Archived