Sabres Golf outings

topshelfcookies

I remember reading an article in Sports Illustrated a few years back about how during their annual two-game swing in Florida it was tradition for the Sabres to all invite their fathers down with them and make time for a few rounds of golf with them in between games.

I believe the story focused on Jay McKee, and I know that this was during Lindy's tenure. Just wondering if anyone else had heard of this, or if I perhaps have just eaten too many paint chips from my uncle's house in South Buffalo.

Good old college taught me something!

This was what I was thinking of...

From the 03/28/98 issue of SI:

THE FATHER OF ALL ROAD TRIPS

The Sabres' Dads

How's this for paternal instinct? Sabres coach Lindy Ruff has invited his players to bring their dads on a road trip of their choice this season at Buffalo's expense. The fathers fly on the team charter, dine with the club and, if the weather cooperates, on game days play golf with the players who won't be in the lineup that night. "His eyes were glowing the whole time," says defenseman Jason Woolley of his father, Doug, who accompanied the team on a two-game Florida swing against the Panthers and the Lightning last month. "It was one of the most memorable experiences of our lives."

The fathers seem to lift their sons' performances. Woolley scored one of his six goals this season in the game against the Panthers, and right wing Jason Dawe, whose father, Eric, also went on that Florida trip, had a goal and an assist as Buffalo won both games. "It's been wonderful," says the 38-year-old Ruff, a father of four. "I'm only afraid the moms will say they've gotten stiffed."

~~~~~~~~

By KOSTYA KENNEDY

I wonder when or if Ruff has stopped doing this?

The fathers seem to lift their sons' performances. Woolley scored one of his six goals this season in the game against the Panthers, and right wing Jason Dawe, whose father, Eric, also went on that Florida trip, had a goal and an assist as Buffalo won both games. "It's been wonderful," says the 38-year-old Ruff, a father of four. "I'm only afraid the moms will say they've gotten stiffed."

I just want to thank all the Sabre Moms who allowed themselves to get stiffed in brief and likely unfulfilling interludes with their husbands. The seeds that were planted long ago are bearing fruit!

Archived