Current Sabres vs. Early 90s Bills

Buffalo Wing

In watching this team over the last few years, I am reminded of the Bills teams of the early 90s. Specifically, whenever those Bills teams took the field you always felt that they could win...no hesitation...even if they were behind in a game, you just knew they would find a way to pull it out. Sounds like our current ice hockey team. Then you have the respective coaches - Levy and Ruff. Levy knew which buttons to push at what time. Sounds a lot like Ruff. We watched those kids that made up the Bills teams grow up together...becoming a championship team together. Sounds a lot like the current Sabres. The similarities are endless...

That being said, it seemed like we took those Bills teams for granted. We thought the ride would never end. As I continue to watch this current Sabres team, I am enjoying each and every game to the fullest. Although I never want the current ride to end, some day it will. Enjoy this team everyone - each night - 'cause we are on one heck of a ride!

I've been a Bills and Sabres fan since the Electric Company and the French Connection. That makes me old enough to remember the 1980-81 Bills, and the decade of hoping for mediocity after. This experience let me enjoy the Bills in the 90's with perspective.

I do see that this season is our best chance. The salary cap may hamstring this club after this year. If this were a poker game, I'd be "all in". I will not assume anything about next year.

That being said, I think that Ruff may hold an edge on Marv in one respect. Marv always treated his players as professionals. He was old-style reserved.

Ruff seems to add an addiitonal dimension. He knows that be able to communicate with his players on several levels, from cerebral to emotional. I hope that does the trick late in the spring

well don't go too fast... this team has not even reached ONE Stanley Cup Finals ... Right now they look like the 89 Bills after their first good season (the 88 AFC Final vs the Bengals) ...

This team is much, much better than the 89 Bills, and a whole lot more likable.

well don't go too fast... this team has not even reached ONE Stanley Cup Finals ... Right now they look like the 89 Bills after their first good season (the 88 AFC Final vs the Bengals) ...

See, I would liken last year's Sabres team to the 1989 Bills team that lost to the Bengals in the AFC Championship game. This year's Sabres team may have the look of the 13-3 Bills team that lost to the Giants in the first Superbowl. Still too early to tell, but there are some parallels.

The '89 Bills lost to Cleveland in the "Ronnie Harmon Game" in the Divisional round. The Browns then lost to Elway the next week, and the Broncos then got stomped by Montana and Rice in Super Bowl XXIV.

The '88 Bills lost to Cinnci and the Icky Shuffle in the AFC Championship game.

I think while it's a decent argument that this generation of the Sabres is the most talented Buffalo sports team since the early 90 Bills, I think the only team that will ever top those Bills teams from '88-'93 will be the Bills or Sabres team that finally brings home a championship.

The '89 Bills lost to Cleveland in the "Ronnie Harmon Game" in the Divisional round. The Browns then lost to Elway the next week, and the Broncos then got stomped by Montana and Rice in Super Bowl XXIV.

The '88 Bills lost to Cinnci and the Icky Shuffle in the AFC Championship game.

I think while it's a decent argument that this generation of the Sabres is the most talented Buffalo sports team since the early 90 Bills, I think the only team that will ever top those Bills teams from '88-'93 will be the Bills or Sabres team that finally brings home a championship.

VERY well said.

Archived