I JUST WANT A YES OR NO

Sabretooth73

My problem with the whole thing is that it doesn't ask for discussion at all. The title of the thread is a "I JUST WANT A YES OR NO!!" (exclamations added for emphasis). There are too many intangibles to give a straight yes or no answer.

Just to respond to a few posts above, the Sabres do have a lot of OT and shootout wins, I see this as a plus. Last season, TSN said the same thing. The Sabres weren't an elite team because they won games by a goal, they won in overtime, they won in shootouts. I thought that gave the Sabres an advantage. When it came to the playoffs the Sabres were used to playing in tight situations. I thought this gave them a huge advantage over a team like Ottawa who was used to blowing the competition away.

So, do I think the Sabres will win the cup? It depends. Who do they play in the playoffs? How many games does each series go? Who does Anaheim play? If they face Anaheim in the finals, how long does the series go? Do a lot of games go to OT? I think Anaheim has a better top 2 at the blueline, but I think the Sabres have the better top 6. Anaheim's top 2 log a lot of minutes, where the Sabres roll 6. Longer games and a longer series would favor the Sabres where shorter ones would favor the Ducks. That's just the tip of the iceburg.

I was just kidding. But I would never say yes either. It just seems wrong.

To defend myself one more time: there weren't many on this board demanding that Tom Golisano get out his book of generic checks (they're cheaper) and spend what was necessary to keep this team together, knowing how close they were to a Cup. That's optimism.

The problem is that there were people here who believed that there was no doubt that Golisano WOULD open his checkbook, and were only worried about the constraint of the cap.

A pessimist reads a line in a his letter to the Sabres season ticket holders that management is going to try to return "most" of the team, and immediately concludes that to mean that they guy is trying to sell the team (among other idiotic claims involving stealing sugar packs and game programs).

An optimist would have considered the guy's track record and given him the benefit of the doubt. You didn't.

The problem is that there were people here who believed that there was no doubt that Golisano WOULD open his checkbook, and were only worried about the constraint of the cap.

A pessimist reads a line in a his letter to the Sabres season ticket holders that management is going to try to return "most" of the team, and immediately concludes that to mean that they guy is trying to sell the team (among other idiotic claims involving stealing sugar packs and game programs).

An optimist would have considered the guy's track record and given him the benefit of the doubt. You didn't.

Wrong, Skippy. I guess people can go back and read the posts. I never said he was TRYING to sell the team. I said I believe at some point he would, and the chance to turn a very nice profit at that point was probably a strong motivating factor in his decision to buy the team. As many have said, you don't become a multi billionaire by being stupid. My argument, and I think it's been born out, was that the value of the team was in how it would appreciate in value, not in the year to year bottom lines.

jad, get real. No one last June was seriously considering the possibility that the Sabres would spend to the cap.

You calling me an idiot? I will leave that title to the guy who takes "claims" about stealing sugar packets seriously.

Archived