Random Question

Orange Seats

Hasek was traded to the Red Wings for Kozlov, a draft pick (which became either Keith Ballard or Paille) and "future considerations." I've never understood how "future considerations" work. Did we ever get our future considerations from Detroit? Is it cash? Is it draft picks? Is it just something that would allow Darcy to say "you owe me one" if the Sabres were ever trying to make another deal with the Wings? I'd like to know exactly what we got in exchange for Hasek.

Sorry, these long breaks between games cause me to start looking up random Sabres stuff to keep my hockey cravings under control.

i believe future considerations are conditional draft picks depending on how well hasek did for the new team. future considerations can be something like "3rd round pick if new team does not make playoffs", "2nd round pick if new team makes playoffs", "1st round pick if team wins cup".

... 2001 - Traded to Detroit for Vyacheslav Kozlov, a first round pick in 2002 (Jim Slater) and future considerations (ballard or paille) ... wikipedia

Slater was drafted by Atlanta that year. Ballard and Paille were our two first round picks that year. The other pick was a conditional pick in 2003.

From looking at the 2002 draft, it looks like Paille was the pick we got for Hasek. The conditional pick in the 2003 draft looks like it was a 2nd rounder, Branislav Fabry.

Yeah Wikipedia is definately wrong on that one. Slater was drafted by Atlanta and has only played for Atlanta.

If we ended up with Paille for Hasek it looks like it was a good deal. Only ended up with a 2nd rounder for them winning the cup the very next year eh? Kozlov was pretty much a bust, but at least we got Paille.

Archived