No!!!!!!!!

bob_sauve28

it's a long season. we're on a 5 day break. the prize is the stanley cup, not the points title.

Very good point. But I must admit I want two things from the regular season. I want the Presidents trophy and I want the Sabres to be the highest scoring team in the league. Of course the Cup trumps all of that.

I definitely don't want the president's trophy - more often than not, that's the death knell for Stanley Cup hopes...

I think that is the case when even though the team seems so great (the one that gets the Presidents Trophy) they really have that one weakness that is exposed firsthand in the playoffs when the pressure cranks up.

I don't think that the Sabres will have this problem. They have too good a coach and too much depth, and the key to hoisting the cup, a proven primetime playoff goalie in Miller.

The Sabres' list of goals should look like this:

1 -- Win the Northeast Division

2 -- Win the Eastern Conference

3 -- Win the Stanley Cup

Nothing else matters. The President's Trophy is nice because it guarantees home ice in the Cup Finals, but it's not crucial -- particularly when this team plays so damn well on the road.

3 -- Win the Stanley Cup

Nothing else matters. The President's Trophy is nice because it guarantees home ice in the Cup Finals, but it's not crucial -- particularly when this team plays so damn well on the road.

Exactly... baby steps!

3 -- Win the Stanley Cup

Nothing else matters.

To you maybe, but I want that trophy. I'd rather be best in regular season and playoffs, and goals scored. Sports is suppose to be fun and watching Sabrtes get those would be just that

To you maybe, but I want that trophy. I'd rather be best in regular season and playoffs, and goals scored. Sports is suppose to be fun and watching Sabrtes get those would be just that

Yes but more fun would be telling your son and daughter where you were watching the game when the Sabres won the Cup and then telling about how much fun it was to be in Niagara Square for the celebration and how the entire city shut down... etc.

Thats the kind of story that gets your 5 year olds hooked into the sport. This doesn't cut it:

Dad: Hey Jimmy, let me tell you about when the Sabres won the points race.

Jimmy: Awesome did they win the Cup?

Dad: Well, no. But they scored the most goals and won the most games!

Jimmy: But they didn't win the Stanley Cup?

Dad: No, but they came close and had a really great regular season!

Jimmy: Kinda like the 90,91,92, and 93 Bills and the 74-75 97-98, 98-99, and 05-06 Sabres?

Dad: Yeah, kinda like that.

Jimmy: :thumbdown: :sick:

Dad: :bag: :beer:

Yes but more fun would be telling your son and daughter where you were watching the game when the Sabres won the Cup and then telling about how much fun it was to be in Niagara Square for the celebration and how the entire city shut down... etc.

Thats the kind of story that gets your 5 year olds hooked into the sport. This doesn't cut it:

Jimmy: Kinda like the 90,91,92, and 93 Bills and the 74-75 97-98, 98-99, and 05-06 Sabres?

I think you need to reread that post you quoted. :nana:

I think you need to reread that post you quoted. :nana:

I get that he said he would like to win the President's and Stanley Cup Trophy... but since there is a history of failure for President's Trophy winners I think it's wise only to keep sights on the prize that matters, the Stanley Cup. I agree with the baby steps approach... win however many games it takes to win the division, the conference, and the cup. All I'm trying to say is that the cup is really the only thing that matters, so I'm not going to root for them to win the President's Trophy.

I get that he said he would like to win the President's and Stanley Cup Trophy... but since there is a history of failure for President's Trophy winners I think it's wise only to keep sights on the prize that matters, the Stanley Cup. I agree with the baby steps approach... win however many games it takes to win the division, the conference, and the cup. All I'm trying to say is that the cup is really the only thing that matters, so I'm not going to root for them to win the President's Trophy.

Why draw the line at the President's Trophy? Why only do enough to win the conference? Furthermore, if the Cup is the only thing that matters, why care how well we do at all as long as we make it to the playoffs?

I want a team that does its best. And for the Buffalo Sabres, winning the President's Trophy in addition to the Cup is their best. I know this team is capable of doing it all, and that's what I'll cheer for.

The only risk in winning the President's Trophy is that this team may become overconfident. But who's to say that won't be the case if they win the conference, or even just their division? In each case, they'll have home ice advantage against, presumably, a weaker team. However, I don't think that's going to happen. They've already had to face that sort of adversity with their hot start. I also just cannot see Lindy letting that happen to this team. All year long, as long as we remain the team to beat in the East, teams will be playing their best against us. I just can't see any logic to stop cheering for wins once they clinch the conference.

Poor little Jimmy! I'll feel so bad for the little bastard! Actually I could care less about being and old fart telling little kids about my 'war stories' I'll enjoy it now if the take the scoring title and win the most games this year. :beer:

Why draw the line at the President's Trophy? Why only do enough to win the conference? Furthermore, if the Cup is the only thing that matters, why care how well we do at all as long as we make it to the playoffs?

I want a team that does its best. And for the Buffalo Sabres, winning the President's Trophy in addition to the Cup is their best. I know this team is capable of doing it all, and that's what I'll cheer for.

The only risk in winning the President's Trophy is that this team may become overconfident. But who's to say that won't be the case if they win the conference, or even just their division? In each case, they'll have home ice advantage against, presumably, a weaker team. However, I don't think that's going to happen. They've already had to face that sort of adversity with their hot start. I also just cannot see Lindy letting that happen to this team. All year long, as long as we remain the team to beat in the East, teams will be playing their best against us. I just can't see any logic to stop cheering for wins once they clinch the conference.

Remember when Pittsburg barely made the playoffs and still won the cup? What crap. They slept through the regular season, basically making a joke of it and then just played in playoffs. I suppose its wonderful and all they won it all, but what a joke of a season.

Remember when Pittsburg barely made the playoffs and still won the cup? What crap. They slept through the regular season, basically making a joke of it and then just played in playoffs. I suppose its wonderful and all they won it all, but what a joke of a season.

That's one more cup than the Sabres.

Try telling a Detroit Tigers fan that they had a better season than the St. Louis Cardinals. Clearly the Tigers were the superior team all season long and no one would give the Cardinals a chance in hell to win the World Series.

In fact, we all know this problem in Buffalo. Yes, it was fun as hell watching all those Bills teams rack up all those wins... but when the cookie crumbles the whole era is tainted by the lack of championships. Indy fans know how bad this is too.

It's not that I'm going to loathe this team if they don't win the Cup... but if they don't win the Cup and win the President's trophy... thats not going to make it any better for me.

That's one more cup than the Sabres.

Try telling a Detroit Tigers fan that they had a better season than the St. Louis Cardinals. Clearly the Tigers were the superior team all season long and no one would give the Cardinals a chance in hell to win the World Series.

In fact, we all know this problem in Buffalo. Yes, it was fun as hell watching all those Bills teams rack up all those wins... but when the cookie crumbles the whole era is tainted by the lack of championships. Indy fans know how bad this is too.

It's not that I'm going to loathe this team if they don't win the Cup... but if they don't win the Cup and win the President's trophy... thats not going to make it any better for me.

You make 100% sense. But I still know what I want to see. I'll keep scoreboard watching all season. If want to also, fine, if not, no problem. Go Sabres

Archived