How to turn WGR audio vault interviews into podcasts?

nfreeman

OK, so I finally got an ipod, and I've discovered that my favorite thing to listen to is hockey talk podcasts. Unfortunately, I haven't found any that cover the Sabres (although there is a good one called wide right radio that covers the bills). I'm thinking that in the meantime, I wouldn't mind listening to the interviews of Lindy and Darcy (and Roby and the other hockey interviews) that WGR puts up. However, while I can play them on my computer, I can't seem to figure out how to save them as mp3 files so I can get them into the ipod. It occurs to me that WGR set it up this way on purpose -- but that there has to be a not-too-complicated way to do it anyway.

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks.

OK, so I finally got an ipod, and I've discovered that my favorite thing to listen to is hockey talk podcasts. Unfortunately, I haven't found any that cover the Sabres (although there is a good one called wide right radio that covers the bills). I'm thinking that in the meantime, I wouldn't mind listening to the interviews of Lindy and Darcy (and Roby and the other hockey interviews) that WGR puts up. However, while I can play them on my computer, I can't seem to figure out how to save them as mp3 files so I can get them into the ipod. It occurs to me that WGR set it up this way on purpose -- but that there has to be a not-too-complicated way to do it anyway.

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks.

You should be able to right-click and save them to your pc as .wav's, then import hem directly into itunes for loading onto your ipod.

Edit: I just noticed they are .wma's and not .wav's. I will let you know if I get it to work.

There is a Podcast for the Sabres. Its called "The Morning Skate" OFFICIAL PODCAST. Go to iTUNES and under podcasts, do a search for Sports > Buffalo Sabres. It should come up immediately. You can then subsribe to it and after you download the podcast you can transfer it right to your iPOD. Awesome.

And do yourself a favor - dump the PC and get a APPLE MAC! Solid!!

To my knowledge the WGR Audio Vault does not give you the option to save their files only listen to them as they stream directly from their site. I've tried the right click, "save target as" and it's only a shortcut - not the file.

I use freecorder and record WGR's stuff that way. Freecorder saves whatever is being played as an mp3 file. It takes longer but I just run it in the background, and transfer the files to my mp3 player for the ride home each day.

I hope this helps.

There is a Podcast for the Sabres. Its called "The Morning Skate" OFFICIAL PODCAST. Go to iTUNES and under podcasts, do a search for Sports > Buffalo Sabres. It should come up immediately. You can then subsribe to it and after you download the podcast you can transfer it right to your iPOD. Awesome.

And do yourself a favor - dump the PC and get a APPLE MAC! Solid!!

thanks -- but I think this only works if you have a video ipod, right?

also -- thanks to all for your responses. As hockeyfanT points out, I don't think the right-click "save as" works on the WGR files -- I've tried this a few times unsuccessfully. I'm going to try the freecorder program and see if I can get it to work.

No, it'll work with an audio only ipod. Yesterday's was Kevin Sylvester with Andrew Peters. I don't have an actual ipod and my car stereo won't play downloaded stuff from itunes (unless, of course I convert them to mp3s using Freecorder). Personally, I'm much more happy with the WGR Audio Vault than the Morning Skate.

also -- thanks to all for your responses. As hockeyfanT points out, I don't think the right-click "save as" works on the WGR files -- I've tried this a few times unsuccessfully. I'm going to try the freecorder program and see if I can get it to work.

The only drawback for me is that it takes 26 mins to convert a 26 min show. It will also record any "clicks" by pop-up blockers etc. I've disabled all those sounds on my machine. Hopefully, it works for you.

No - you don't need a video iPOD. I have a 4GB mini which is a couple years old. Works fine.

Also, for you Mac heads out there. This is a great, cheap way to record ANY audio right to your hard drive.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

Very cool and cheap to buy. Highly recommended.

No - you don't need a video iPOD. I have a 4GB mini which is a couple years old. Works fine.

thanks. maybe you can help me with this: the shootout shows up on my desktop in my itunes list of podcasts, but when I sync my ipod to the desktop, all of the podcasts sync except the shootout. I just assumed it was because the shootout is video, but maybe there is something else I need to do?

all suggestions/advice appreciated.

Don't sync it. Instead, in the iTUNES window, you'll see where the podcasts are stored. Take the one you want and DRAG the icon right to your iPOD icon within the same iTUNES window on the left of the screen. That way, you'll be sure to know that it transfered to your iPOD. Takes a little longer I guess, but at least you know it copied to the pod. Hope that helps.

I like to have control knowing what is being copied instead of the computer automatically syncing stuff to it. Just a preference I guess.

Archived