Why Why Why???

Allan in MD

No matter who reports on the Sabres, whether it's locally or elsewhere in the league, they all lavish praise on the team's young, home grown talent. Everytime I hear something of this sort I ask myself why Don Luce was cut loose. I'd love to hear a good, logical reason.

Maybe it was just time to go. People grow stale in their jobs.

Luce may have been "the face" of the scouting department. But we don't know if he ws a true "manager type" who collects the information from the people under him then presents it to Regier and Quinn. Not to down play what Luce did. I just don't know exactly what his job included.

Who was/is the European scout. That seems to be where a lot of this teams talent comes from.

No matter who reports on the Sabres, whether it's locally or elsewhere in the league, they all lavish praise on the team's young, home grown talent. Everytime I hear something of this sort I ask myself why Don Luce was cut loose. I'd love to hear a good, logical reason.

In a few words..."scouting by videotape". It seems that even though the Sabres are spending lavishly on player salaries, penny pinching is occuring in the front office. The Sabres cut loose Luce, Benning and I believe the 3rd guy was Terry Martin. They were replaced with no one from the outside. Instead, the Sabres have proclaimed that they can scout just as effectively, by using tape of a player instead of seeing them in person. We'll see how well that works out. <_<

I don't know, but I remember thinking how idiotic it was for the Steelers to cut Tom Donohoe loose in favor of Bill Cowher. I thought, all that team ever does is RELOAD after losing good players off the defense, and now they want to fire the GM?

Obviously, it turned out that there were other people there who were good at their jobs too. I'd like to think the same is true here.

Of course, from 1000 miles away, I really have no friggin idea.

I don't know, but I remember thinking how idiotic it was for the Steelers to cut Tom Donohoe loose in favor of Bill Cowher. I thought, all that team ever does is RELOAD after losing good players off the defense, and now they want to fire the GM?

Obviously, it turned out that there were other people there who were good at their jobs too. I'd like to think the same is true here.

Of course, from 1000 miles away, I really have no friggin idea.

You raise a good point about Donohoe. The impression was that the Bills were getting "gold," in TD, as the Steelers, year after year, continued to lose top players to free agency and yet always brought in excellent replacements. The impression was that Donohoe was a genius. He either never was or he lost it when he came to Buffalo.

In a few words..."scouting by videotape". It seems that even though the Sabres are spending lavishly on player salaries, penny pinching is occuring in the front office. The Sabres cut loose Luce, Benning and I believe the 3rd guy was Terry Martin. They were replaced with no one from the outside. Instead, the Sabres have proclaimed that they can scout just as effectively, by using tape of a player instead of seeing them in person. We'll see how well that works out. <_<

They had the director of one of the Scouting Services on XM a couple months back discussing the move. Pretty interesting discussion on the pros and cons of going to video.

In Tommy G. I trust... :thumbsup:

Only time will tell if we have a drop off in talent. It will probably be in the next few years before we'll really see how much of an impact lose those people were in the front office. Also, we'll see if this video scouting thing works. I thought they were going to use the video to identify the players they were really interested in and then send people out to see them. I think of it as more a precision method as a shotgun approach.

They had the director of one of the Scouting Services on XM a couple months back discussing the move. Pretty interesting discussion on the pros and cons of going to video.

So was the director in favor of "video scouting" and did they talk specifically about the Sabres going down this road? Also, are any other NHL teams using this method extensively?

So was the director in favor of "video scouting" and did they talk specifically about the Sabres going down this road? Also, are any other NHL teams using this method extensively?

It's been a couple of months, but if I remember correctly he started out being very critical of video scouting, and saying you can only see what happens on camera, etc. However, as the interview went on, he admitted that when you send a scout to a game, he can only watch so many players. With video you can keep an eye on them all. They were specifically talking about the Sabres. I don't know of any other team using this method as extensively as the Sabres.

Archived