Notes from the morning skate (Nov 22)

blueandgoldofold

I was at this morning's practice and thought I'd contribute a few notes. Lydman once again participated for the entire practice and was one of the very last players off the ice. He seemed fine on the ice and during drills, but who knows if that means he's closer to returning. As was the case Monday, Drury, Briere, and Numminen did not skate. Also not participating today were Hecht, Mair, and Kalinin. There was one new player present, #37 (MacArthur or Ryan, perhaps?). All other players were present, including Funk, Paille, and Stafford.

Probably some were excused or were given a rest. Drury, Briere, and Numminen were also not present for Monday's skate, but all played against Tampa Bay. No idea why Mair, Hecht, and Kalinin were absent, althought some of them may have been given extra time to rest too. Can anyone verify who #37 is? They didn't do too many defensive pairings during drills, but toward the end of practice, Lydman and Funk were the only two d-men left out there and were working together for a bit.

Probably some were excused or were given a rest. Drury, Briere, and Numminen were also not present for Monday's skate, but all played against Tampa Bay. No idea why Mair, Hecht, and Kalinin were absent, althought some of them may have been given extra time to rest too. Can anyone verify who #37 is? They didn't do too many defensive pairings during drills, but toward the end of practice, Lydman and Funk were the only two d-men left out there and were working together for a bit.

For those of us who have never attended a morning skate - can you give a summary of the types of things they did? I've never seen one personally. I imagine they just loosen up a bit and it is very relaxed.

It's pretty informal. The assistant coaches are out there directing things. The players will skate around initially. Then they'll break into two squads, one at each end of the ice. Miller takes one goal and Biron the other. The players will work on basics like passing, shooting from various angles, breakaways, etc. Then they'll usually group together and stretch at center ice. Then they'll usually have the d-men all work together on one end, and all the forwards on the other end. It usually lasts about 30 to 40 minutes. It seems to be at the players' discretion when they want to leave. Some of the vets will leave earlier, and the younger guys tend to stay out longer. The players tend to joke around with each other too, but it's in good fun. The practices are open to the public (10 AM on game days), but fans are all directed to sit in the same section (105). Not sure why that is.

Archived