How do you defend against the toe drag?

SDS

I'm a forward and I use this move quite frequently, the thing that interrupts or stops it is if the defencemen keeps his body square to me, stays in front of me, and keeps his stick on the ground in front of him, blocking my shooting lane or passing lane if i have it, hope this helps.

so, if you're a righty and you toe drag and drift to your left - I just need to drift along with you? Do I just blow off the poke check and stare at your chest - trying to stay in front?

I'm a left hand shot so I come in from the left hand side when I do it, your best bet is to do exactly what you said and keep your eyes on his waist( easier to tell which way a forward will move ) while conciously keeping your stick in front of you and in either a shooting or passing lane, watch the Sabres defence as they are excellent at doing this, most of the time the forward will have to continue wide, dump it in, or have his shot blocked by you or deflected. That being said, it's much easier said than done in a game situation :D.

P.S. One thing to remember is to never commit yourself first, pretty much at all, unless he's being careless with the puck and you know you can get it, when you commit you make it much easier for the forward to continue his drift, and/or walk around you.

P.S. One thing to remember is to never commit yourself first, pretty much at all, unless he's being careless with the puck and you know you can get it, when you commit you make it much easier for the forward to continue his drift, and/or walk around you.

ahhhh.... so you have seen me play before? :lol:

I'm a left hand shot so I come in from the left hand side when I do it, your best bet is to do exactly what you said and keep your eyes on his waist( easier to tell which way a forward will move ) while conciously keeping your stick in front of you and in either a shooting or passing lane, watch the Sabres defence as they are excellent at doing this, most of the time the forward will have to continue wide, dump it in, or have his shot blocked by you or deflected. That being said, it's much easier said than done in a game situation :D.

Great explanation. Also, as you get more comfortable you can play mind games with forwards and make them think you're commiting. Another way to combat it is have your defensive partner crash from the other side. Most guys in beer league aren't aware enough to react to the 2nd defensman...although I'd be careful trying this with anyone who's a good heads up player.

Great explanation. Also, as you get more comfortable you can play mind games with forwards and make them think you're commiting. Another way to combat it is have your defensive partner crash from the other side. Most guys in beer league aren't aware enough to react to the 2nd defensman...although I'd be careful trying this with anyone who's a good heads up player.

Please explain further...

Checking the guy, no. Taking the body, yes. Don't look at the puck, focus from waist to chest, stick on the ice out in front of you, stick opened to the forehand, elbow cocked, free hand up ready to steer the attacker. Attempt the poke check but don't lunge with the body. Keep the feet moving without crossing over. Cakewalk, right?

Checking the guy, no. Taking the body, yes. Don't look at the puck, focus from waist to chest, stick on the ice out in front of you, stick opened to the forehand, elbow cocked, free hand up ready to steer the attacker. Attempt the poke check but don't lunge with the body. Keep the feet moving without crossing over. Cakewalk, right?

that is my signature move! :lol:

How do you move laterally w/o crossing your feet? :unsure:

Archived