Top 4 Defenceman

Brian Campbell - Buffalo 57,988

Zdeno Chara - Boston 56,939

Thomas Kaberle - Toronto 56,139

Henrik Tallinder - Buffalo 46,924

Top two goaltenders

Ryan Miller - Buffalo 63,818

Martin Brodeur - New Jersey 59,386

Thomas Vanek - Buffalo 14,182 (15th on the list of Eastern Conference forwards)

Some people above him that I'm surprised are regarded higher than Vanek - Peter Forsberg, Evgeni Malkin, Mats Sundin, Brendan Shanahan

It seems most people end up on the ballot strictly due to name recognition, which is more evident in names like forsberg, shanahan, brodeur.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=28355...ge&service=page

Top 5 Forwards in all-star voting

Sidney Crosby - Pittsburgh 83,664

Alex Ovechkin - Washington 63,921

Daniel Briere- Buffalo 53,749

Maxim Afinigenov- Buffalo 53,320

Chris Drury - Buffalo 42,201

Top 4 Defenceman

Brian Campbell - Buffalo 57,988

Zdeno Chara - Boston 56,939

Thomas Kaberle - Toronto 56,139

Henrik Tallinder - Buffalo 46,924

Top two goaltenders

Ryan Miller - Buffalo 63,818

Martin Brodeur - New Jersey 59,386

Thomas Vanek - Buffalo 14,182 (15th on the list of Eastern Conference forwards)

Some people above him that I'm surprised are regarded higher than Vanek - Peter Forsberg, Evgeni Malkin, Mats Sundin, Brendan Shanahan

It seems most people end up on the ballot strictly due to name recognition, which is more evident in names like forsberg, shanahan, brodeur.

I'm not suprised with :

Shanahan with 17 goals.

Or

Malkin 9 + 9 in 15 games.

It is an "All-Star" game. People like to see the "next great player" or an all-time great having a great year.

Vanek will have his day in the spotlight. If he cashed in on half his chances this year he would have 30 goals already. He should have had four or five last night.

Oh i'm not doubting the players I listed by any means, just pointing out the peculiararity of the vote gap between Vanek and some of these "allstars". I looked at the numbers more carefully and I still stand by my comment somewhat,

Vanek is 10th in the league in scoring with 15g 11a

Shanahan has 16g 11a,

But when you look closer at his stats, 8 of those come on the powerplay, and the more telling number is his -2, compared to Vanek's +15. While Malkin will be a star in this league for the years to come, this year I think his success is more a by-product of playing with Crosby, I didn't do my research, granted, but I would be willing to bet all of his points have Crosby somewhere in there on the scoresheet. So while all 3 are very deserving of any All-Star accolades, I was just curious as to why Vanek, with comparable or better stats, was A) Not even on the ballot, and B) is suffering such a huge gap disadvantage below the forementioned players.

I was just curious as to why Vanek, with comparable or better stats, was A) Not even on the ballot, and B) is suffering such a huge gap disadvantage below the forementioned players.

A is your answer to B.

From that article, Vanek is EASILY the most written-in vote, with nearly three times as many votes as next closest write-in, Darcy F*cker. That's saying something.

Archived