Thank God the "streak" BS is over

inkman

While it was a nice ride and all, I was getting seriously pissed off about the stupid streak talk. It's one thing when people who follow the sport acknowledge your team's success, but what I have seen the last week has been nausiating. Hockey neophites talking endlessly about the streak and "how much it's done for the city of Buffalo". Can we please get our feet grounded back in reality? Yes, we were happy and exited about each and every win. Unfortunately, "the streak", overtook all relevant Sabres talk and turned everyone into gleeful morons. This team is good, they might be the best team in the league right now. What I don't need to hear is fans calling radio shows telling everone that the 2006-2007 Sabres are the best team EVER. I think the Sabres are about 5-7 Stanley Cups away from that distinction.

Granted, the Sabres are 10-0-1 right now. If they want to keep winning hockey games they might need to shore up a few things. I think it's time Lindy had one of those "forward passes only practices". How many times did we send passes backward in our own zone only to be taken the other way on as odd man rush? Also, too many "cute" passes trying to set up the perfect play. It works wonders when they are successful but like last night, if you get too fancy it will blow up in your face. I can't count how many passes went off our players skates or theirs. I know I'm nitpicking after a shootout loss but I strongly believe that if they continue this type of play another type of streak will appear, and not the snot smear accross the front of their sweaters.

The Atlanta Thrashers are not a team I would worry about come playoff time. When Greg Devries and Shane Hnidy are two of your best defenseman, a long post season run is not in the making. Nothing went Buffalo's way and they still managed to get a point from Atlanta. Kovolchuk is an absolute sniper. He and Ovechkin (yes I know he's on a different team) are other worldly. Bobby Holik is a jackass. The smug look after scoring a goal in which he was not even in the offensive zone until his teammates did a ton of board work was typical. His slow, "defensive minded" game sucks in the new NHL and he's fortunate they don't have more talent up front on this team as he would be relegated to the fourth line.

I'm not sure if I like the pairing of Soupy and Nate. Brian's game has evolved light years but putting all the onus of bringing along a rook on him could spell trouble. I think Teppo's game may be more suited for that but I'm sure Lindy and James Patrick know best. On a positive note, Campbell has become a physical force out there. Opposing teams really need to keep their heads up or they are going to get Umbergered!

Well thank the hockey Gods the streak is over and we can all get back to "I hate the slug" talk or other trivial things. :nana:

Amen :worthy:

It's time to start thinking about points #22 and #23 which are up for grabs against the Bruins. I just hope the Sabres are not looking past the Bruins to the Leafs or have some post streak let down. The Bruins are a team the Sabres should go 8-0 against. I know it doesn't work that way . I just feel the Sabres are that much better then the Bruins.

I will disagree about the Thrashers though. I think they are better then you give them credit for. They can skate

and have the best player in the league. They also have a goalie that can get hot and carry them. Their defense is weak. But I'm sure they will be upgrading that during the season. They also play in a weak division. Like the 'Canes last season the Thrashers will have a feast of points on three of the leagues bottom feeders, Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay. Not to mention the 'Canes appear to have a Cup hangover and are banged up a bit.

Here's to points #22 & #23. ;)

Their defense is weak. But I'm sure they will be upgrading that during the season.

Nuff said. We'll see if they address their "D". Philly and Ottawa thought they had enough as well and we know otherwise don't we. It will also be tricky with the salary cap, I'll check and see if they are up against it.

Looks like they got some wiggle room

I can't believe they are paying Hossa 6 mil. Ha! If I was Ilya, I would hold out next year for the max. He's at least twice the player Hossa is.

They are thin at forward as well, rolling two lines from the middle of the second period in most games is gonna wear them out................Plus as far as I can tell the bounces went against us at every point in that game and we took them to a shootout...................GO SABRES!!!!!!!!

Yes, glad the streak is over, but still sort of burns me that whenever a Buffalo team is on the verge of something phenomenal we don't come through. It would have been nice to set the NHL record not just tie it.

Could care less about this record, I want the CUP............ :thumbsup:

I didn't even notice him last night. Let everyone decide for themselves.

Hossa

Kovalchuk

Hossa is a better two way player but his league pays for goals and Ilya is about to drop 60 on everyone. I realize Hossa is ahead in scoring currently but I can't imagine that will hold up over an entire season.

I, too, am glad that the streak is over. I am also glad that the tied the record before it ended and that they still picked up a point last night. Now we can focus on the rest of the season as a journey to the cup and it only cost us a point to change focus. Streaks are great, but they can make you complacent and unrealistic, focusing on the wrong things.

Archived