Two Kinds of Sabres games

wjag

I watched the game last night and got to thinking the Sabres are just a step slow. By the time the third period came around it occurred to me that it wasn't that the Sabres were slow, it was the Canes could skate with them. They matched their speed. They had enough forecheck and could step in the lane to break up passes and rushes. So I think we are going to see two styles of games this year. Ones that look real crisp (games against bottom feeders, slow-footed, goon-laced teams, aka Rangers, Philly, etc) and ones that look gritty (games against teams that can match our speed and skill, aka Sharks, Ducks, Canes, etc).

But thank god they aren't going back to playoff hockey and letting the play occur in their own zone. They took it to the offensive zone last night.

we still always underestimate the canes though... after last reg. season, the playoff series (yeah, we were more injured than a union army brigade, but put that excuse to the side), and 2 regular season games, its apparent that the canes totally match the sabres in every aspect of the game... it'll be a dogfight this entire season, and i just hope that they get knocked out of the playoffs before we have to play them (as they probably hope we get knocked out).

Archived