Canucks need a Goalie?

deluca67

I doubt Vancouver would be willing to part w/ a D-man having lost Sopel and Malik this past off-season. I would love to see Salo as a Sabre. IF Vancouver did part w/ a D-man, I'd expect to see them part w/ Ohlund (29 yrs old, salary ~$3.5MM) before they parted with the cheaper Salo due strictly to salary cap concerns.

I'd be surprised to see the Sabres try to trade for Morrison. He is a good centerman, but is rather high priced for what he brings (~$3.2MM for a guy with career bests of 25 goals and 71 points, and that with playing with Todd Bertuzzi and Markus Naslund). I'm more surprised that you would like Morrison based upon your views on Drury. I wouldn't have a problem with the Sabres getting Morrison, but would prefer to see them address their needs at D.

I doubt Vancouver would be willing to part w/ a D-man having lost Sopel and Malik this past off-season. I would love to see Salo as a Sabre. IF Vancouver did part w/ a D-man, I'd expect to see them part w/ Ohlund (29 yrs old, salary ~$3.5MM) before they parted with the younger, cheaper Salo due strictly to salary cap concerns.

I'd be surprised to see the Sabres try to trade for Morrison. He is a good centerman, but is rather high priced for what he brings (~$3.2MM for a guy with career bests of 25 goals and 71 points, and that with playing with Todd Bertuzzi and Markus Naslund). I'm more surprised that you would like Morrison based upon your views on Drury. I wouldn't have a problem with the Sabres getting Morrison, but would prefer to see them address their needs at D.

Blueliner or more offense?

The Sabres need both.

Without a goalie the Canucks may make a deal that includes Salo. Maybe Marty and Tallinder for Salo and fill in the blank.

Morrison? It's funny you bring that up.

They both have played in 500 NHL games.

Morrison has more career points and is a +60 better then Drury.

Drury has been a better playoff performer all with the AV's. Nothing with the Flames or Sabres.

Blueliner or more offense?

The Sabres need both.

Without a goalie the Canucks may make a deal that includes Salo. Maybe Marty and Tallinder for Salo and fill in the blank.

Morrison? It's funny you bring that up.

They both have played in 500 NHL games.

Morrison has more career points and is a +60 better then Drury.

Drury has been a better playoff performer all with the AV's. Nothing with the Flames or Sabres.

While I have not been high on Tallinder this season, I'd prefer to see a trade include Fitzpatrick if Vancouver would go for it. They've both played comparably in my opinion this season (I haven't been particularily happy with either) but Tallinder definitely does have more upside than Rory does.

As for Morrison, nearly half of the difference (27) in plus minus between the 2 comes in '02-'03 when Morrison played on a good Vancouver team and Chris played on a bad Calgary team. Vancouver scored 56 more goals than they gave up that year and Calgary gave up 42 more than they scored that season. Throw this year's 1/3 of a season into the mix and you've accounted for fully 75% of the difference between the 2. Drury did not play well at the beginning of the season but has played much better in the last month. His +/- has stabilized accordingly.

You say Drury is a better playoff performer. With that and the fact that Morrison has played with much better linemates than Drury has and they both have very comparable regular season stats (except for +/-), I'm surprised that you want Morrison considering he makes about $200k more per year than Drury does.

As I mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing Morrison in a Sabres uniform. I'm just surprised that you wouldn't mind seeing that either.

Jovocop would make this team a legitimate cup contender instantly. Biron and a D-man (Tallinder, Rory, or Jillson) could do it. Ohlund would be a good pickup too. Salo would be ok, but I don't think he is worth Biron on his own.

However, keep in mind that Roberto Luongo is on the block. He is much more appealing than Martin Biron, so we would need to make a convincing package to get anything out of the Canucks.

Jovocop would make this team a legitimate cup contender instantly. Biron and a D-man (Tallinder, Rory, or Jillson) could do it. Ohlund would be a good pickup too. Salo would be ok, but I don't think he is worth Biron on his own.

However, keep in mind that Roberto Luongo is on the block. He is much more appealing than Martin Biron, so we would need to make a convincing package to get anything out of the Canucks.

Jovanovski would be a HUGE addition to this team. I'd be surprised to see the Sabres come up with a package of players that would interest Vancouver into trading him though, that's why I didn't even bring his name up in previous discussions. (But I did make a mistake in a previous post, I said Salo was younger and cheaper than Ohlund. While he is much cheaper, he is 2 years older than Ohlund.)

Speaking of Luongo, if the Panthers trade him away, they may be interested in one of the Sabres goalies. If so, Mike van Ryn or Jay Bouwmeester would be guys the Sabres would try targeting. Either would cost more than Marty and Rory but right now the Panthers need a lot of help and a lot of depth. The Sabres might be able to come up with some sort of package that benefits both teams.

hey...stop dreaming...

biron alone isn't worth any of the mentioned guys...

I'd prefer biron and vanek for bertuzzi and some low pick...although that deal would now be in favour of the canucks...

jovo is unrestricted next summer...ohlund is "the" d-man of the canucks for the next years...and salo won't be going anywhere, because of his low salary and his good performances...and the canucks simply can't afford to give a d-man...

bertuzzi is struggling and may need a change of scenery as heatley needed it...

realisticly, I am afraid lalime could be mentioned...

well, our history of struggling goaltenders here in vancouver is quite long already...biron or lalime would just fit in... :D

You might be the first person in this thread that has made any sense. Everybody seems to think we are going to fleece another team for one of their best players. In order to get any of the aforementioned players, sans Morrison, the Sabres are going to have to give up way more than Marty and some scrub D-man.

If we want Jovocop or Bertuzzi we are going to have to give up Vanek or Briere or Kotalik. To get Salo we would atleast have to include Gaustad or something valuable.

If we want Jovocop or Bertuzzi we are going to have to give up Vanek or Briere or Kotalik. To get Salo we would atleast have to include Gaustad or something valuable.

It amazes me how little people seem to know about the Canucks, even their "fan" that posted above.

Jovanovski is a UFA THIS summer, not next. They have no cap availability to bring him back. He has been struggling all year for them, Ohlund and Salo are the defensive center of that team.

The Canucks NEED a goalie to have ANY chance of winning the Stanley Cup. They will be willing to give something up to get that.

We would NOT have to give up Thomas Vanek and Martin Biron to get a rent a player. That ignores 20 years of trading history in the NHL.

It amazes me how little people seem to know about the Canucks, even their "fan" that posted above.

Jovanovski is a UFA THIS summer, not next. They have no cap availability to bring him back. He has been struggling all year for them, Ohlund and Salo are the defensive center of that team.

The Canucks NEED a goalie to have ANY chance of winning the Stanley Cup. They will be willing to give something up to get that.

We would NOT have to give up Thomas Vanek and Martin Biron to get a rent a player. That ignores 20 years of trading history in the NHL.

if they trade vanek... its trouble for sure... regardless of his slow start we need him... granted we need defense too but i think others can be moved and still acquire the same thing espcially if you package draft picks and the all mighty "Future Considerations" as well... :rolleyes: just don't be like toronto and trade away the youth of the future... a team needs there draft picks... just not all of them.

next summer = summer 2006

neither did I suggest to trade jovo for vanek and biron...bertuzzi and a low pick

also the cap will go up and jovo may have to take a slight paycut since he is a little overpaid...otherwise: bye, bye jovo and we have 4 mio to replace him...

I also never said that the canucks don't need a goalie...I just doubt it will be biron...

you should learn to read...

so tomorrow please pay attention in school... :D

I don't want Bertuzzi. While I don't get to watch the Western Conference as much as I would like, I am worried about his reduced production this year. A change of scenery might not make a difference.

I don't think it's fair to draw a comparision to Heatley. They are 2 different people. A change of scenery worked great for Heatley, but that is no indication that it will work for Bertuzzi. Especially considering that the new NHL is very favorable to a player like Heatley.

With that being said, I also wouldn't want a player like Bertuzzi on this team. Do I really need to explain? I can think of about a hundred better ways to stand up for a teammate.

Finally, as for Biron vs. Luongo. While the rumors have it that Luongo is on the block, who knows what they want for him. The price could be very high. There is no way to know if Vancouver wants Biron unless we offer him.

Well maybe this thread should be titled "Trade deadline ideas" because i didn't realize that was what we were talking about. I see a slight difference in trading for someone 1/3 of the way through the season and trading that happens at the deadline.

Archived