[Sabre Rattling]Banner Ceremony Not Sold Out

SabresBeat

The smack starts early this year. While I don’t normally engage in such stuff (much… natch!) it is necessary to lay some down over the fact that, as of yesterday morning, tonight’s opening game, you know, the one where the Stanley Cup Banner will be raised to the rafters for all eternity, or at [...]

http://www.sabresreport.com/blogs/?p=289

Why is there always seemingly so much confusion about whether a game has sold out in Carolina? According to at least two Buffalo media reports, the game did sell out. And the scarcity of Sabre fans, according to Paul Hamilton, argues that it was sold out a long time ago, with some attempt in place by the Canes to prevent a big Buffalo contingent. Meanwhile, our own opener is not sold out, which seems bizarre, so why don't we talk about that for awhile? :)

Why is there always seemingly so much confusion about whether a game has sold out in Carolina? According to at least two Buffalo media reports, the game did sell out. And the scarcity of Sabre fans, according to Paul Hamilton, argues that it was sold out a long time ago, with some attempt in place by the Canes to prevent a big Buffalo contingent. Meanwhile, our own opener is not sold out, which seems bizarre, so why don't we talk about that for awhile? :)

Carolina has been doing this, regardless of the availablity of tickets they announce a sellout.

They announce a sellout last week, but you could by tickets from their site the morning of and the afternoon of gametime. These are legit seats, because I bought them this way last year.

I was at a playoff "sellout" last year with plenty of empty seats. My only guess is that this is a ploy to create bandwagon marketing. It is more important to market the atmosphere for the longterm, that I really don't think they are worried about seat sales the first 5 years in Raleigh. They will continue to "sellout" a lot of games.

It is baffling.

How do you announce sellouts with unsold tickets, or does the organization merely guarantee a sellout because they have a buyer or an accounting mechanizism for unsold tickets.

Last year they had attendance numbers that I have to believe are fiction.

Like I pointed out in a post a couple of days ago, most WNY'ers are not going to shell out box office price for a "gold" game. It's still nothing more than 1 of 41 regular season games. I don't care who it is against or what day of the week it is. These prices are jacked up with Canadien fans in mind knowing that they will pay almost any amount to see their beloved Leafs and Canadiens.

Quite predictbale that *some* Canes fans are playing the Stanley Cup card. The simple fact is there were tickets available. It's also quite obvious that maybe the Hurricanes organization itself is thin-skinned about their attendance otherwise they wouldn't spin on whether or not their games are truly sold out.

Maybe they should reword it to say "Game is sold out...until we unlock more tickets". This would allow them to say the game is sold out even if they come up 3000 seats short...because then they can always say they didn't unlock those seats on purpose. Hehe.

Archived