Who will get the last spot

Strow

From reading the papers this morning it looks like Novonty will make the team this year. This leaves just one spot for 3 players 2 of which need to clear waivers if sent down Ryan and Thorburn. My question from people who have seen or heard the games so far is who do you think is going to stick around? Remember Paille doesn't need to clear waivers up or down I believe.

Go Sabres tonight! I will try to get into the chat room at some point but the girlfriend is already cracking the whip on me. A quote from her "Great the season starts already I thought it just ended."

I think Paille will go down just like Roy did last year then be the first call up & hopefully have the same results as Derek & Pommer did when they returned.

Novotny should make the team barring a big screwup in the last preseason game. Thorburn or Ryan is a tossup. Can they both make it?

Here it is by my count in no particular order (don't have a clue on actual lines).

Forwards (14)

Vanek-Briere-Afinogenov

Hecht-Drury-Pominville

Kotalik-Roy-Novotny

Peters-Gaustad-Mair

Thorburn &/or Ryan

Defense (7)

Tallinder/Lydman

Numinnen/Kalinin

Campbell/Spacek

Paetsch

Goalies (2)

Miller

Biron

That's if they carry 23 players - if it will only be 22 because of Salary Cap, then I'm guessing Thorburn or Ryan is waived

"One factor that may determine who stays has nothing to do with on-ice performance. Paille, MacArthur and Stafford can all be sent to Rochester freely, but Novotny, Ryan and Thorburn would have to clear waivers in order to play for the Americans. That situation came into play at the end of camp last year when Roy was sent down simply because he could be."

i'm confused by this...

not that it would be a great difference, but...so would we hold onto "weaker" players just to keep everyone in the system??

Thats what Im thinking the Sabres might do, maybe hold Ryan or Thorburn with the big club and send Paille down. I don't know much on either guy but I seem to remember Ryan being more of a playmakers.

I haven't thought of the cap issues with the club and them keeping only 22 guys. Makes ya wonder if they will cut ties with both Thorburn and Ryan and just keep Paille.

I think Paille will go down just like Roy did last year then be the first call up & hopefully have the same results as Derek & Pommer did when they returned.

Novotny should make the team barring a big screwup in the last preseason game. Thorburn or Ryan is a tossup. Can they both make it?

Here it is by my count in no particular order (don't have a clue on actual lines).

Forwards (14)

Vanek-Briere-Afinogenov

Hecht-Drury-Pominville

Kotalik-Roy-Novotny

Peters-Gaustad-Mair

Thorburn &/or Ryan

Defense (7)

Tallinder/Lydman

Numinnen/Kalinin

Campbell/Spacek

Paetsch

Goalies (2)

Miller

Biron

That's if they carry 23 players - if it will only be 22 because of Salary Cap, then I'm guessing Thorburn or Ryan is waived

I've heard a lot of good things about Sekera? Any chance he overtakes Paetsch for that seventh spot? Or is a situation where he will be in Rochester for the playing time?

I've heard a lot of good things about Sekera? Any chance he overtakes Paetsch for that seventh spot? Or is a situation where he will be in Rochester for the playing time?

I think that's exactly what it will come down to. It's his first year playing pro hockey in the US, he should be on the ice every night. That's not going to happen with our top 6. They'll probably be very quick to call him up though, if something goes wrong.

I think that's exactly what it will come down to. It's his first year playing pro hockey in the US, he should be on the ice every night. That's not going to happen with our top 6. They'll probably be very quick to call him up though, if something goes wrong.

Any more info on the kid. I've heard everything second hand. ;)

Sabres.com article mentioned 24 players still on the roster after Sekera being assigned to Ra-cha-cha. Not sure where they're coming up with the 2 extras unless counting Connolly & maybe the Italian invitee is still there (Strazzabosco) or I think there was an Italian goalie invitee too. Anyone know? If not, it should be clear at 3 pm tomorrow.

So, here appears to be our 22 man active roster + Tim on IR. LOOKING GOOD!

Forwards (13)

Vanek-Briere-Afinogenov

Hecht-Drury-Pominville

Kotalik-Roy-Novotny

Paille-Gaustad-Mair

Peters

Defense (7)

Tallinder/Lydman

Numinnen/Kalinin

Campbell/Spacek

Paetsch

Goalies (2)

Miller

Biron

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing actually. I've heard some conflicting reports that Strazzabosco would be or has been sent to the Amerks. That came from Strazzabosco's agent last week in an Italian publication. But neither the Sabres or Amerks have yet to confirm that.

It would make sense if they did since Jeff Jillson declined his offer to be sent down, why not give his spot to someone else the team thinks has some promise.

Archived