Jersey Sales

Strow

Did I read that correctly??? They only sold 300 total jersey the 100 they had and took 200 order. WTF. To me thats bad news for the slug however they may have cleaned up with shirts, hats, etc...

I can't believe they are playing tonight!!! Is WGR gonna play the audio online tonight and will there be anyone in the chat room?

The lines were long there. I'm sure a large portion of that other 97% didn't feel like fighting the crowds and the lines at the Sabres store.

C'mon....from what I saw the line wasn't that long...Only went from where the hall of fame was to the end of the escalator...

If there was a jersey you wanted, you would have waited in line to buy one or even order one...

Hell I know I would have waited in line to buy 4....home and away for me and home and away for my wife

Not that I was there, but from what I gather, it sounds like the only place open at the time selling stuff was the store. Now, it seems to me, that if it were me trying to sell a bunch of stuff, I would have taken a more concert type approach and had kiosks where you could buy at least t-shirts and mugs and key chains and such or take jersey orders if they really wanted to try and sell sell sell. I wonder why they didn't bother with that? At least with one near the major exits. Just a thought.

Well, there is one silver lining around this black tornado cloud. Although the Sabres did not intend to have the roll out go as poorly as it did, if they can maintain the supply chain issues through the season, it may actually work out in their favor.

In order to qualify for full revenue sharing, not only does a team have to be in the bottom half of the league in revenues, but they also must have their revenue growth rate above the average league revenue growth rate. I doubt the Sabres sold as much merchandise last year, when accounting for the level of support they received, as they could have because a lot of people held off on buying merchandise waiting for the return to B&G (not anticipating the new colors / logo to become such a cluster, though in hindsight they probably should have expected it).

The Sabres will probably sell more merchandise this year simply due to the novelty factor. But they will not sell as much as they should have with a new uni launch. If the supply chain issues continue, they will likely still sell more merchandise than last year, but they won't sell as much as they will next year when those issues are solved and more people have gotten accustomed to the snot smear.

Hopefully the sales of the new merchandise will still be slow next year but high enough so that when all other revenue streams are combined, the Sabres revenue growth still exceeds league averages. If the snot stain sales are still lower than the Wile E. Coyote Suprageniuses at Reebok expected, the league should allow the Sabres a mulligan. With their current experience fresh in memory, they should get the new new unis right. This will help grow revenues again.

And if they end up with supply chain issues with the new new logo launch (and who here won't expect to see supply chain issues with that one), then their revenues can grow at a high rate again the following season.

This uniform debacle, while totally unintentional, could end up guaranteeing the Sabres collect a full portion of revenue sharing for the next 4 seasons. By that time, we could be in a full blown Sabres love fest like back in the mid-70's. In which case, the Sabres may very well be in the top half of revenue generators and there would be no more revenue sharing money available to them.

It's impossible to predict how strong enthusiasm for the Sabres will be in 4 years, but if they can keep a strong team together for 2 or 3 more years, it is reasonable to believe that people will still strongly support them. They may not even have to jack up ticket prices too high, because if the ticket prices are actually set slightly too low, demand for tickets will remain high. A big demand for tickets will maintain the buzz about the team and keep TV viewership high. High ratings translate into high advertising fees and the Sabres apparently get all the advertising revenues from their deal with MSG. While I expect season ticket prices to rise slightly next year, I don't expect to see them increase as much as other top tier teams might. Controlling the advertising revenue gives them leeway in how to implement the business plan.

Just my warped take on the debacle as I am starting to get uni overload like most everyone else on the board.

So the process is dragged through crap, yet LQ comes out smelling like a rose...

He shouldn't come out unscathed, because as the managing partner, he has the ultimate responsibility for all decisions about operations. But I do think there is more to the story of how this happened than we will hear for a while.

I'm just trying to find a way to put a ribbon on the t*rd this logo / uni launch turned into. And, no, that doesn't mean that I like or even accept the snot smear.

As a slight aside, I agree pretty much entirely with your comments in the press conference thread:

The top organizations in sport are top notch from top to bottom - they pay attention to every detail, they protect their image as well as their employees and players, and make sure they do everything in a professional manner. Whether you want to blame Rbk, the Sabres marketing & creative services team, the NHL, the Sabres.com webmaster, the Zamboni driver, Joe the parking lot attendant, whomever - this whole process (logo design included) was a cluster fugg of immense proportions. The people who hate this logo and keep harping on it want the very best for our franchise - including the character of players they draft - how they play on the ice and behave in the community; the condition of the facilities, the game night atmosphere, and yes, even how they look on the ice. I think what happened here, with the indecisive crowd, was the home sweater design isn't bad looking, so they figured what the hell - its not that bad, why are you still complaining? I think if they had decided to go with a powder blue and light yellow color scheme, most of the people telling us to stop complaining would be lining up behind us in demanding a change.

Please don't misinterpret our feelings on this. It doesn't mean we don't love & support the team, doesn't mean we want the team to fail - on the contrary, we want the team to succeed everywhere, and a better logo & sweater would have this team rolling in merchandise sales for the next five years. They wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelves, and not b/c of some lame excuses about why they don't have enough product.

Archived