New contract for Bryzgalov per TSN

Barnabov

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176622&hubname=nhl

2 years - first @ 1 million 2nd at $1.3625

Not that I think it's going to happen, but I'd love to see this Miller's deal with similar numbers and maybe a couple more years added on to it - shoot - I'd even throw in 10% more on top to make Ryan feel "special"

I worry though that his agent is looking for 2-3 times this amount. I hope it never happens, but goalies so often slump after beginning strong and their contracts need to reflect this amount. I would love Miller time to continue better than ever but if he has a bad year, Biron will get his chance to be a # 1 pretty quickly and we'll be in good shape (as long as Miller comes back next year when Biron slumps again).

Ugly rambling thoughts I'm having but I can think of a couple of recent cases where a young goalie has slumped after getting a big contract: Brian Boucher & JS Giguere. Certainly there are more so go ahead and name them...

Not that I think it's going to happen, but I'd love to see this Miller's deal with similar numbers and maybe a couple more years added on to it - shoot - I'd even throw in 10% more on top to make Ryan feel "special"

I worry though that his agent is looking for 2-3 times this amount. I hope it never happens, but goalies so often slump after beginning strong and their contracts need to reflect this amount. I would love Miller time to continue better than ever but if he has a bad year, Biron will get his chance to be a # 1 pretty quickly and we'll be in good shape (as long as Miller comes back next year when Biron slumps again).

Ugly rambling thoughts I'm having but I can think of a couple of recent cases where a young goalie has slumped after getting a big contract: Brian Boucher & JS Giguere. Certainly there are more so go ahead and name them...

This is a steal for the Ducks IMO. That's cheap for a goalie who stepped it up last year and has a lot of upside. There's no way we're gettin Miller for that cheap though. I still think he's looking in the neighborhood of $ 2.5--3 million.

I don't expect to see the Sabres sign Miller to a 2 year deal, because he is going to be an RFA next year, but is due to be an UFA in 2 years. The Sabres would do themselves no favors by signing Ryan to a 2 year deal.

WGR claims both sides are working toward a 3 year deal, which makes more sense to me.

It wouldn't surprise me that Ilja took this deal because he has NO leverage at all this season (remember, Anaheim has a $5MM goalie signed) and this gives him decent (not great by starter standards but 2-3 times his previous contract) salary and a legitimate chance to compete for a Stanley Cup. It also gives him UFA as quickly as he can reach it.

The money is probably comparable to what he'd have gotten back in his homeland, but he claimed earlier in the year that the Ducks want him to be their starter (whether it's true or not, the opportunity to try to be the 2nd Russian born SC winning goalie probably was pretty enticing, especially when you add on the ability to spend winter in sunny California vs. mother Russia).

I don't expect to see the Sabres sign Miller to a 2 year deal, because he is going to be an RFA next year, but is due to be an UFA in 2 years. The Sabres would do themselves no favors by signing Ryan to a 2 year deal.

WGR claims both sides are working toward a 3 year deal, which makes more sense to me.

It wouldn't surprise me that Ilja took this deal because he has NO leverage at all this season (remember, Anaheim has a $5MM goalie signed) and this gives him decent (not great by starter standards but 2-3 times his previous contract) salary and a legitimate chance to compete for a Stanley Cup. It also gives him UFA as quickly as he can reach it.

The money is probably comparable to what he'd have gotten back in his homeland, but he claimed earlier in the year that the Ducks want him to be their starter (whether it's true or not, the opportunity to try to be the 2nd Russian born SC winning goalie probably was pretty enticing, especially when you add on the ability to spend winter in sunny California vs. mother Russia).

I heard rumors that the deal was done, and going to be announced early this week. Since there is still not an announcement, I would consider the rumors highly questionable.

I heard rumors that the deal was done, and going to be announced early this week. Since there is still not an announcement, I would consider the rumors highly questionable.

Well I guess it's possible that they're waiting until after the Bills lose badly on sunday. That would win over even more fans.

Please don't shoot me for saying this. I just wanted to throw it out there.

Archived