Why Not Leetch?

Pullup Champ

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson recently reported UFA defenceman Brian Leetch won't be signing with the Oilers as rumoured. The Oilers VP of Hockey Operations, Kevin Prendergast, admitted the club made inquiries but it's his understanding that Leetch wants to play in the East.

Spector's Note: If Leetch hasn't signed with an Eastern team by the start of training camp, I expect him to retire. His options appear to be running out in the East. The Bruins already have more depth and apparently have no plans of bringing him back, and it doesn't appear that he'll be returning to the NY Rangers. Most of the other Eastern teams appear set with their bluelines.

Um.... We're set with our blue lines? Stay at home D-man like Leetch, with Patrick

behind the bench?

Not sure how much he has left in the tank, but I could see the veteran experience lost from

Greer and McKee being fixed by one guy, who has won a cup....

Any takers? :unsure:

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson recently reported UFA defenceman Brian Leetch won't be signing with the Oilers as rumoured. The Oilers VP of Hockey Operations, Kevin Prendergast, admitted the club made inquiries but it's his understanding that Leetch wants to play in the East.

Spector's Note: If Leetch hasn't signed with an Eastern team by the start of training camp, I expect him to retire. His options appear to be running out in the East. The Bruins already have more depth and apparently have no plans of bringing him back, and it doesn't appear that he'll be returning to the NY Rangers. Most of the other Eastern teams appear set with their bluelines.

Um.... We're set with our blue lines? Stay at home D-man like Leetch, with Patrick

behind the bench?

Not sure how much he has left in the tank, but I could see the veteran experience lost from

Greer and McKee being fixed by one guy, who has won a cup....

Any takers? :unsure:

What are we going to pay him with?

good call... isn't he a bit slow too if i recall... not really meant for the new nhl era... i know he has his famous solo rush up the ice but i think he's past his prime a little no? and even if we wanted to 'hoplesly' is right... what do we pay him with.

I don't think the Sabres would want him, but if they did, they could give him a small base contract and then give him performance bonuses (because he is over 35) in a 1 year contract that would allow the team to exceed the salary cap slightly (maximum bonus overrun for all eligible players for a particular season is 7.5% and the next season's cap is reduced by the current year's overrun).

Personally, I don't want a guy that can't stick with TO or Boston. Let Filly grab him.

"Gionta is a Mike Grier player except faster and more talented"

....i THINK THAT MIGHT BE A BIG STRECH

I haven't seen a lot of Gionta's physical game, but his 48 goals speaks for itself - the guy can score. According to Sportsnet.ca:

Assets

Has excellent speed and acceleration. Plays with loads of feistiness and energy. Shows better-than-average offensive upside and two-way ability.

Flaws

Must continue to adapt to the pro game and get physically stronger. Needs to avoid big hits at center ice

Career potential

Top six winger.

Granted, I do not know when this was written, but needing to "get physically stronger" doesn't sound much like a Grier-type player. (FWIW, Grier should be glad that McKee and Peters were on the team last year - they might have been the only worse stickhandlers and hands on the team. Not taking anything away from the couple big goals he scored, but otherwise he was brutal on the rush and around the net. A little bit of touch and he might have been good for 15 goals and 25+ assists.)

Anyway I think Gionta might be more of a offensive-minded Peca - not the biggest guy, can score and play in his own end, and is fiesty and won't back down.

To be honest, I think that was my biggest beef with his play - as we saw in the playoffs, he could really punish the other teams along the boards when he wanted to, but he didn't do it with enough frequency for my taste. He did a lot of little things well - PK, veteran leadership, etc. - but his inconsistent hitting, and lack of stickhandling & touch around the net means I am not too upset that he has moved on.

Archived