Sabres street hockey fest tomorrow

Eleven

This was a blast--I referreed about 10 squirt games. There are some really good hockey playing kids out there, and some really annoying parents (this isn't a league--it's a one day street hockey tournament!).

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN THE LOGO: The hockeyfest staff shirts were gold with primarily navy printing on them; the only Sabres logo was the B with the sabre through it. No sluggalo, no goathead, no charging buffalo over crossed sabres. I don't make anything of it, but I figure some of you logo nuts will bend the information into one theory or another, and it would entertain me to watch you do it.

Best team name out there: "Trump Slugs," in the grownups division.

It was fun. My team, Team Olean, didn't make it past the round robin but it was still a blast.

Only a few downsides:

1. Team Blakeville or something played really rough and took a lot of slapshots that refs didn't call. No big deal, we tied them 7-7.

2. First team we played, the Pretty Louies, were just too good! :( 13-3 we lost haha, they were amazing.

3. In the last game, the game was very fun and intense. But score at half time was 4-3 us, scorekeepr said 3-3. And then final score she insisted was 7-4... when we scored at least 3 goals in the second half. Towards the end of the game, the referee was calling for the time for about 30 seconds before he actually got the scorekeepers attention -- this leads me to believe that she was not paying attention at all!

In reality that final game ended either 7-7 or 8-7 in our favor, but it's not a big deal we would not have advanced anyway. We left early as the trip back to Olean is long, who won the Midgets division? Louies? :P

It was fun. My team, Team Olean, didn't make it past the round robin but it was still a blast.

Only a few downsides:

1. Team Blakeville or something played really rough and took a lot of slapshots that refs didn't call. No big deal, we tied them 7-7.

2. First team we played, the Pretty Louies, were just too good! :( 13-3 we lost haha, they were amazing.

3. In the last game, the game was very fun and intense. But score at half time was 4-3 us, scorekeepr said 3-3. And then final score she insisted was 7-4... when we scored at least 3 goals in the second half. Towards the end of the game, the referee was calling for the time for about 30 seconds before he actually got the scorekeepers attention -- this leads me to believe that she was not paying attention at all!

In reality that final game ended either 7-7 or 8-7 in our favor, but it's not a big deal we would not have advanced anyway. We left early as the trip back to Olean is long, who won the Midgets division? Louies? :P

Don't know who won--I had to leave early also.

Had a couple of issues with my scorekeeper as well, but the results never were in doubt--most of my games were blowouts. It was easy to tell the kids who play year-round together on ice from those who just got together from their neighborhood for the tournament. Still, they all seemed to have fun.

It's a great event. Watching Perreault, Playfair, Ray, Shannon, Ledyard, etc. out there was pretty cool, too.

Seems like you're being a better sport about crap calls than most fans would be if calls went against the Sabres. Better luck to team Olean next August.

Don't know who won--I had to leave early also.

Had a couple of issues with my scorekeeper as well, but the results never were in doubt--most of my games were blowouts. It was easy to tell the kids who play year-round together on ice from those who just got together from their neighborhood for the tournament. Still, they all seemed to have fun.

It's a great event. Watching Perreault, Playfair, Ray, Shannon, Ledyard, etc. out there was pretty cool, too.

Seems like you're being a better sport about crap calls than most fans would be if calls went against the Sabres. Better luck to team Olean next August.

yeah. i'll admit i lost my temper a bit during the second game. The kids were so cocky and playing really pushy. but it's hockey, that'll happen. one highlight was great though.. their tall player made a pretty good move around my player, and he starts shouting "whooooooa whoooooa." Midway through his second "whooooa" my friend matt stole the ball and scored on a half-rink shot. Our whole team goes "WHOOOOA WHOOOA."

the last game i was a little disapointed. while standing in line to get Derek's autograph, the team right behind us was talking about how Team Olean had to beat the Russian Pinecones for them to move on. so we turned around and introduced ourselves and they were pretty cool about it. they were rooting for us and cheering all of our goals (more than 4 btw :P). I really wanted to win for them just because they seemed like nice kids.. but that's how it works.

but im still amazed at how good the pretty louies were. they looked unstoppable. we got killed 13-3 and i was whipped from running so much. thier stick handling was crazy considering how little room there was compared to an ice rink. passes were perfect - they weren't even looking. they just knew where they were going to be.

i want to find out who they are!

Archived