Why are you a Sabres fan?

Barnabov

I've been a fan since I was 10. The Sabres/Flyers Final. They had cool unis and I liked the FC.

Been a fan ever since.

Good story. Went to a Canucks game back in the early 90's before GM Place was around. I wore my one of a kind Sabres jacket I got in England of all places. I was 7 rows back just to the left of the Sabres bench. Before the game fans were all over me loving the jacket. Even some players noticed it too.

Anyway, the place was only about 70% to capacity. The Canucks weren't all that good at the time ( I think it was 92 ) and a little frukus broke out behind Kirk McLean's net. Well a couple of guys paired off and wouldn't you know it, Rob Ray was on the ice.

He wasn't in one of the other altercations, yet, so he grabbed a hold of Gary Valk. Valk was shitting his pants and wanted no part of it. But the Canucks were winning and the linsemen were busy, so Rob started slapping Valk in the face lightly. It was very degrading and Valk was not happy about it but he kept pushing Ray away. Razor was holding him with the left hand and slapping at him with the same hand, kind of backhanding him.

Well Valk finally mans up and they're off. Ray starts pummelling Valk and myself and the fan I met before the game was in the same corner loving it, when all of a sudden, there was a shift in the Earth's axis and Valk lands one square on the button. Booom. Ray is clearly stunned. So here I am yelling stuff like "hammer him, hammer him, hamm.........." and Valk nails him.

The crowd goes nuts. And Valk starts wailing on Ray. The refs are still busy and Valk is tuning Ray by now. They go to the ice and Valk has clearly KO'd Razor. I am stunned. The crowd sounds like it's game 7 of the Finals and Ray just gets up on his own and pushes Valk away, respectful of the beating he ended up taking. Ray skates by me and is bleeding too! I just said, "Rob, Why?"

The next thing you know I am sitting down and everyone is a buzz, when I feel this hand on my left shoulder. Behind me is an old man of about 65 or so (I was 26 at the time) and he says to me all cocky, "How you like that?" and laughs still with his hand on my new jacket.

Calmly, I looked at his hand and slowly guided my eyes to his with my best psycho stare and said "Don't Evvver touch my jacket."

The old man's hand retracted like a lizard's tongue after catching a fly. Then I said to my buddy all crazylike saying "He touched my jacket man." He was there to "calm" me down saying it would be ok.

Of course I wouldn't have done anything, but the whole sequence of events was a hoot!

Alright I'm out.

AH - the transistor radio hanging on the bedpost with an earplug! I remember it well. Despite many efforts I don't recall ever making it to the second period of a west coast game before Ted had serenaded me to sleep.

Yes those were the days, had to scam some 9V batteries to keep the radio going....... :D

I was about 8 and i was at the MAY DAY game that was it. With all the cheering and the chanting ANDY ANDY ANDY, plus the heroics i thought this was the greatest game ever.I liked it before but now i got a real taste of it i have never looked back now.

May Day was great to, their is a rumour that Bourque still hasn't found his jock strap from that game.......... :D

May Day was great to, their is a rumour that Bourque still hasn't found his jock strap from that game.......... :D

Its probably one of those "hazardous waste" items crews found in the Aud recently...

About 2 years ago I was in a bar and Bourque was sitting at one of the tables (it was after a big BU hockey game, where his son played that year). Eventually, after at least 10 years, I kept randomly walking over towards him yelling "MAY DAY!" I don't think he liked me too much.

Archived