Salary Dump at HQ

BuffalOhio

What's the real reason they let Luce, Martin, Benning, and others go in the front office?

I think it's because they all were getting paid too much due to seniority, and the Sabres decided to reduce payroll in the front office to offset increased player salaries. Just a hunch.

Anyone?

What's the real reason they let Luce, Martin, Benning, and others go in the front office?

I think it's because they all were getting paid too much due to seniority, and the Sabres decided to reduce payroll in the front office to offset increased player salaries. Just a hunch.

Anyone?

It is an interesting theory, but considering that Luce, Martin, and Benning together probably made less than half a million a year, I have a hard time believing much money would be saved that way compared to player salaries.

My (limited) understanding of it was that the Sabres didn't offer Luce a contract, that they did want to keep Martin but he got a better offer from Colorado, and that Benning wanted a "desk job" but the Sabres didn't have one open for him. When Boston offered him a job with less travel than his Sabres job, he took it.

I don't see it as a salary dump necessarily, but if they don't fill Luce's position (I believe the D&C had an article about Houda that stated the Sabres were considering not filling that position) then I might agree that it is. Also, I have no data whatsoever as to how much these guys made with the Sabres nor what their new contracts are, so it's tough to say that it is or isn't a "salary dump".

I am very interested in how the Sabres fill these positions and also am looking for news regarding whether the rank and file scouting department comes back intact. A "low budget" team like the Sabres can't ever spend too much on their scouting department. I would always like to see them hire more and better scouts because the draft will be the lifeblood of this team.

Archived