Connolly & Briere...

LabattBlue

End of the world? I am the only one saying the Sabres will be fine. And they will be without Briere. So that dosen't make any sense. I guess it's the best you can do.

I would guess you don't like stats because you have none to back up anything you might be trying to say.

The Sabres did have a better winning percentage without Satan. Just like they did without Briere. ;)

Guess I jumped to conclusions when I saw you over-rating Satan again, when you managed to get your nose out of that stat book!

To be honest, I try not to read your posts too much any more because you just can't admit you're ever wrong really. Are you not the one who wanted Regier burned at the stake this time last year? Having a little trouble with that short to mid term memory? Sabres doomed? Was it 11th or 12th you had them pegged at finishing?

How worthless is the winning percentage stat? As long as the team makes the playoffs, the regular season stats mean jack after that.

If I want to read stats, I'll get a media guide thanks. ;)

connolly and briere are undoubtibly the best offensive players. we sould keep briere for the whole season and deal with him next year.connolly needs to bulk up and become less prone to injuries because another concussion will put him out for good.as far as the decision to keep him goes, i think its a great idea because not only is he that good, but if we lose briere he can fill that spot dumont/connolly/hecht/lydman/tallinder i like that alot

Guess I jumped to conclusions when I saw you over-rating Satan again, when you managed to get your nose out of that stat book!

To be honest, I try not to read your posts too much any more because you just can't admit you're ever wrong really. Are you not the one who wanted Regier burned at the stake this time last year? Having a little trouble with that short to mid term memory? Sabres doomed? Was it 11th or 12th you had them pegged at finishing?

How worthless is the winning percentage stat? As long as the team makes the playoffs, the regular season stats mean jack after that.

If I want to read stats, I'll get a media guide thanks. ;)

I also at one point believed in 'Santa Claus' and that the Republican Party had by best interest at heart :).

I was just looking back for all of your posts where you said Pominville and Roy would be huge factors and Max would have his best season to date. I was also looking for the one where you predicted Brian Campbel's coming of age and the 52 regular season wins.

I guess I can't because they don't exist.

It's easy to never be wrong when you never say anything. ;)

connolly needs to bulk up and become less prone to injuries because another concussion will put him out for good

Actually, he has bulked up a bit since his first concussion. He added about 10 lbs of muscle prior to last season. People got to realize he is not Mike Peca, he is not going to be Mike Peca, He is Tim Connolly, he uses his quickness and speed, not so much his size and body.

I'm not saying you said he was mike peca, but alot of times he gets #%^$#! on for not taking the body more like Peca, not being as physical as peca. He is a playmaker not a grinder. As for another concussion... Lindros has had about what? 7... 8 now... he maybe a shell of his former self, but he's still playing. Tim has had 2 concussions he's not in trouble of dying on the ice if he gets a third...

connolly and briere are undoubtibly the best offensive players. we sould keep briere for the whole season and deal with him next year.connolly needs to bulk up and become less prone to injuries because another concussion will put him out for good.as far as the decision to keep him goes, i think its a great idea because not only is he that good, but if we lose briere he can fill that spot dumont/connolly/hecht/lydman/tallinder i like that alot

Not to pile on here, but bulk has nothing to do with it. If it did, guys like Eric (6-5, 237) & Brett (6-4, 215) Lindros & Keith Primeau (6-5, 220) wouldn't be retired (Brett) or clinging to their careers. Fact is some guys are more susceptible to concussions than others; some guys play a style of game that puts them at risk; players, particularly defensemen, are bigger and more mobile than they have been in the past, and for the most part, the rink size has remained unchanged, meaning there's less room for the smaller, quicker guys to avoid the bigger guys. All the Sabres can hope for is that Timmy knows enough to keep his head up; cut down on cutting across the middle, and keeps using his speed to keep himself as a moving target and tough to flatten with a big hit.

The one thing the team needs to worry about is the cumulative effect of concussions - from the limited reading I've done on it, it seems one or two doesn't build up the cumulative effect, but three seemes to be the magic number. After that, each subsequent concussion starts a snowball cycle, where they take longer to heal, stop feeling the effects, etc. If Timmy has had only two actual concussions, then he needs to do everything right to avoid another bang to the head (something all Sabres should be doing anyway...)

It's easy to never be wrong when you never say anything. ;)

The difference is, I don't claim to have said any of that - way to go off on that tangent though, hope the weather was good! :D

Maybe you should keep this saying in mind my friend...

"It's better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

;)

The difference is, I don't claim to have said any of that - way to go off on that tangent though, hope the weather was good! :D

Maybe you should keep this saying in mind my friend...

"It's better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

;)

Which was my point. ;)

• 2 months later...

Please. Briere couldn't hold Satan's jock.

In Satan's last season with the Sabres he played he played 20:02 minutes a game. 1:49 on the PK and 4:37 on the pp. He also had 29 goals and 28 assists for 57 points in an off year. He followed that up with 35 goals for 66 points. Not a bad comeback year. Hell it beats Briere's best.

I know. I know. If Briere was healthy he would have had 500 points last season.

People like to bring up all of Satans empty net goals. You can't score score into an empty net unless your coach has faith in your defensive ability. Which is why Briere has none.

Lets look at some career numbers.

Satan .744 ppg, 42 game winners and a plus 32 (not bad for a lazy player who takes every other shift off :lol:)

Briere .699 ppg, 19 game winners and a minus 22. (you would think he would have more considering he has no defensive responsibilities. :o )

:P :P :P

DL, let's not forget that Satan is stuck playing with teammates who have extreme long-term lottery jackpot contracts like Alexei Yashin and Rick DiPietro. They don't have to show up. They have job security. Man, unions have their upsides!!! :angry:

Archived