What firewall and/or antivirus programs do you use?

Corp000085

I hate polls, cause you always exclude options, so i'll just leave this open ended... Anyhow, what's your firewall/av choice?

I was a user of the norton internet security suite, and used the 2006 version, but my subscription is up around september or october, so i recently looked for other solutions. Now i have the newest free zonealarm and a legit copy of symantec antivirus v. 9. The zonealarm is cool cause its free, and the antivirus is cool cause the subscription never ends. However, the AV does not cooperate iwth the windows security center, so you have to manually turn off the warnings. I did love norton for its antispyware and ad blocking stuff, but now that i've made the switch to mozilla firefox, there's no need for that extra crap. I'm saving about 100mb of physical memory due to the change.

So, what do you guys use?

I hate polls, cause you always exclude options, so i'll just leave this open ended... Anyhow, what's your firewall/av choice?

I was a user of the norton internet security suite, and used the 2006 version, but my subscription is up around september or october, so i recently looked for other solutions. Now i have the newest free zonealarm and a legit copy of symantec antivirus v. 9. The zonealarm is cool cause its free, and the antivirus is cool cause the subscription never ends. However, the AV does not cooperate iwth the windows security center, so you have to manually turn off the warnings. I did love norton for its antispyware and ad blocking stuff, but now that i've made the switch to mozilla firefox, there's no need for that extra crap. I'm saving about 100mb of physical memory due to the change.

So, what do you guys use?

Symantec does work with Windows Security Center. If its not your install is fked up. Not a surprise given the amount of problems Norton/Symantec have.

I use the Windows built-in firewall. Works fine. Also, I use nod32, best AV evar!

Symantec does work with Windows Security Center. If its not your install is fked up. Not a surprise given the amount of problems Norton/Symantec have.

I use the Windows built-in firewall. Works fine. Also, I use nod32, best AV evar!

Well, i have the client install that's provided to students of the college i attend... It might have been modified to give the "status unknown" thing in the security center. I can deal with that.

Well, i have the client install that's provided to students of the college i attend... It might have been modified to give the "status unknown" thing in the security center. I can deal with that.

Its not.

UT distributes the same one, and I used to work for the group on campus that supported it.

Your install is #%^$#!ed up. :-)

Its not.

UT distributes the same one, and I used to work for the group on campus that supported it.

Your install is #%^$#!ed up. :-)

I now realize this... I'm going to try the free version of AVG in conjunction with zonealarm free... If that doesn't work, i'll reinstall NIS 2006 and wait till the subscription is up and possilby go with the zonelabs security suite.

You know, I first got on the internet in 1993, and have never lot a single bit of data due to a virus. About a third of that time. I ran an AV/firewall, and thats when I had the most trouble. If you've got a secure router in your home, it has a firewall. If you don't download pirated software or open the exe file in that email attachment, you'd probably be ok without it. I'm more careful of the spyware stuff, though...

I now realize this... I'm going to try the free version of AVG in conjunction with zonealarm free... If that doesn't work, i'll reinstall NIS 2006 and wait till the subscription is up and possilby go with the zonelabs security suite.

Give nod32's trial a shot.

Theres a quick registry setting to make the trial last over 1k years. Its the best, least resource using antivirus out there. :)

Give nod32's trial a shot.

Theres a quick registry setting to make the trial last over 1k years. Its the best, least resource using antivirus out there. :)

and that begs the question... what is that registry setting?

I used Norton Internet Securities for about four years until I read an article last month talking about how these programs have more negatives (slowing your computer) than positives if you are an expert in your computer.

My computer is humming like never before. Basically, as the article stated, if you use your computer wisely, you don't need to waste your money and your computer's memory resources on AV and firewall programs.

I used Norton Internet Securities for about four years until I read an article last month talking about how these programs have more negatives (slowing your computer) than positives if you are an expert in your computer.

My computer is humming like never before. Basically, as the article stated, if you use your computer wisely, you don't need to waste your money and your computer's memory resources on AV and firewall programs.

I realized that after i switched to firefox a few months ago. The redundant add blocking and spyware software that came with NIS caused more trouble than its worth.

I have officially fixed my computer now with the addition of zonealarm free and AVG free. It took me a while to get the multiple user accounts to function properly with zonealarm (i.e. i'd have myself logged in as an admin and my wife would log in as a user... when she went to log off, a zonealarm alert would come on my account and it would "freeze" the computer, since it was her account logging off. It took me a while to search through the problem but one remote desktop connection later to my admin account and i was able to clear the warning box forever).

Anyways, since the switch from IE to mozilla (and by the way, get the adblock as well as the ietab extensions and the activex extension and yuou'll never use IE again) and from NIS 2006 to zonealarm and avg, i've saved about 100mb of memory as well as made my computer run super fast.

I realized that after i switched to firefox a few months ago. The redundant add blocking and spyware software that came with NIS caused more trouble than its worth.

I have officially fixed my computer now with the addition of zonealarm free and AVG free. It took me a while to get the multiple user accounts to function properly with zonealarm (i.e. i'd have myself logged in as an admin and my wife would log in as a user... when she went to log off, a zonealarm alert would come on my account and it would "freeze" the computer, since it was her account logging off. It took me a while to search through the problem but one remote desktop connection later to my admin account and i was able to clear the warning box forever).

Anyways, since the switch from IE to mozilla (and by the way, get the adblock as well as the ietab extensions and the activex extension and yuou'll never use IE again) and from NIS 2006 to zonealarm and avg, i've saved about 100mb of memory as well as made my computer run super fast.

Why Zonealarm? Why not the built in XP firewall?

ZA is muy grande when compared with the XP built in firewall. XP one works fine. And if you're behind a router, even less of a worry.

Why Zonealarm? Why not the built in XP firewall?

ZA is muy grande when compared with the XP built in firewall. XP one works fine. And if you're behind a router, even less of a worry.

i use za for the outbound traffic control. i don't need it to block any inbound traffic, as i don't have anything that can damage my machine...

Archived