We're gonna lose Briere after next season

BuffalOhio

Dude, you're wrong... The qualifying offers are just a starting point... There will be negotiations and a long term contract. Briere is (in my opinion) the best sabre that we have... Darcy knows that. Briere is just "playing the game". Hey, if he signs the one year deal and leaves after this coming season, i owe you a beer... if he eventually signs a long term deal, you owe me...

"We had the lockout and the new [collective-bargaining agreement], and that's why we went through all this, so teams like the Buffalo Sabres could survive and keep all their players. We'll see if the CBA is really working or we're back to the same thing as it was before."

That would make sense if the salary cap was even close to Buffalo's upper limit. The players resisted a cap, and if I remember correctly fought to have a higher cap. I don't remember them being too concerned about small markets back then.

"We had the lockout and the new [collective-bargaining agreement], and that's why we went through all this, so teams like the Buffalo Sabres could survive and keep all their players. We'll see if the CBA is really working or we're back to the same thing as it was before."

That would make sense if the salary cap was even close to Buffalo's upper limit. The players resisted a cap, and if I remember correctly fought to have a higher cap. I don't remember them being too concerned about small markets back then.

That could be the point Briere was trying to make. The owners fought hard to get a salary cap so that all teams would be successful and the players were against it, that was their main issue. Now that the owners won and a salary cap is in place, it may not be working cause still teams are not able to compete with other teams. Most of the players weren't concerened about the small market clubs because the were looking out for themselves first, now that the deal is done, the ones on small market teams will have to be concerened because that is how they are making their living

Dude, you're wrong... The qualifying offers are just a starting point... There will be negotiations and a long term contract. Briere is (in my opinion) the best sabre that we have... Darcy knows that. Briere is just "playing the game". Hey, if he signs the one year deal and leaves after this coming season, i owe you a beer... if he eventually signs a long term deal, you owe me...

You already owe me a beer, dammit!

I think if Danny sees that the team isn't committing to it's players, then he'll sign the one-year deal and walk next year. I don't blame him. I want to see some committment, also.

He knows someone will sign him to a 4-5 Million dollar deal.

I think the salary cap is too high, and small market teams still can't compete.

That could be the point Briere was trying to make. The owners fought hard to get a salary cap so that all teams would be successful and the players were against it, that was their main issue. Now that the owners won and a salary cap is in place, it may not be working cause still teams are not able to compete with other teams. Most of the players weren't concerened about the small market clubs because the were looking out for themselves first, now that the deal is done, the ones on small market teams will have to be concerened because that is how they are making their living

It just seems disingenuous for a player to say something like that when it was their side of the argument that a cap shouldn't be introduced. Its too late (for a player) to care about small markets competing now. They should have agreed to a lower cap during the strike/lockout, or at least been more vocal to the NHLPA about their concerns, if in fact they had them.

Now, I don't know what DB's position was during the lockout, but now isn't the time to complain that the Sabres won't be able to spend equally with the Avalanches, Rangers, and Flyers of the world.

It just seems disingenuous for a player to say something like that when it was their side of the argument that a cap shouldn't be introduced. Its too late (for a player) to care about small markets competing now. They should have agreed to a lower cap during the strike/lockout, or at least been more vocal to the NHLPA about their concerns, if in fact they had them.

Now, I don't know what DB's position was during the lockout, but now isn't the time to complain that the Sabres won't be able to spend equally with the Avalanches, Rangers, and Flyers of the world.

Who says alot of the players were against a cap? Remeber that during the lockout, guys were being fined for "talking out" against the union? Goodenow and some of the Big name Veterans who would look a t significant pay cuts could have been calling all the shots while the little guy or the small market team players were being told to just keep quiet and they would take care of it.

Briere's words would mean more if he were under contract.

The Sabres have 22 players that will make more then they did last season. You can't give them all 50% raises.

Everyone is talking about how McKee is going to get all these huge offers. I remember when Rueben Brown of the Bills thought he was going to cash in a few years ago. Low and behold he crawled back to the Bills and played for what they wanted to pay him.

Archived