This Day in Sabres History :: June 8

June 8, 1971

After their inaugural season, the Sabres pick up Rene Robert from Toronto in the intra-league draft, then promptly lose him to Pittsburgh in a later round. GM Punch Imlach later tells Robert he made a mistake when he exposed Robert. No kidding!

June 8, 1999

Jason Woolley fires the shot heard round the hockey world in overtime as the Sabres beat the Stars 3-2 in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals at Reunion Arena in Dallas. Dominik Hasek is brilliant, making 35 saves, one of them on Pat Verbeek moments before the winner. The Sabres win a faceoff to the right of Hasek, but defenseman Jay McKee skates past the loose puck and Verbeek sidesteps unmolested to the front of the Buffalo net. Hasek pokes his stick at the puck, but Verbeek's shot rides up the goalie's shaft and starts to flip end-over-end toward the back of the net. Kramer flops on his left side, kicks his right leg toward the roof and knocks the game-winning goal out of midair with his right pad.

Dallas outshoots Buffalo 24-9 through 40 minutes but carries just a 1-0 lead into the third period, Brett Hull's screaming one-timer from the centerpoint on a first-period power play standing up. The lead figures to remain erect given that Dallas is 89-0-15 in its previous 104 games which it led after two periods. But by the time Stu Barnes ties the game in a delayed penalty situation with an extra attacker on the ice with 11:27 to play in the third period and Wayne Primeau backhands the Sabres into the lead on a true power play five minutes later, Stars' history means jack squat.

Jere Lehtinen does force overtime and break the hearts of Sabres' fans everywhere by scoring with 49 seconds left in regulation time with Belfour on the bench, but it only delays a victory that Buffalo seems destined to somehow secure. "We can't get swept now," deadpans Lindy Ruff after the game. "We just won one for the East."

1999 for me... i was in a cabin in the woods with my friends after a hard day's work being oudoor educators at a summer camp. 2 guys and myself pounded a 30 pack of high life during the overtime only!

Then we won... screamed like i've never screamed before... played some nhl98 on playstation for about an hour and had a bass before going to bed. apparently the bass was what did me in because i was throwing up for hours afterwards. oh well... 1-0 sabres!!