Ah yes, old friend, hello again..

reptilia

Heartbreak: I have to say I haven't missed you much, but so often in the recent days and weeks I've seen you approaching from the horizon. I suppose we shouldn't spend too much time dwelling in this, we've been through it so often, and we know, this is our sacrifice, so many scars, so many letdowns, to someday reach the sun without your presence.

And so many thanks to give:

Brian Campbell, you inspire me. You cried when this team won Game 6 in overtime, and though you didn't have your best tonight, I wanted it, for the first time in my life, for you, not for me.

Danny Briere, you became a man this year. You are this team's captain, and no one can talk down of you.

Chris Drury, so a little bit of the lore is gone now, but you were there for all the big faceoffs tonight. You did your job, you've been the foundation to make this team's birth possible. I am greatful.

Ryan Miller: The best, they say, will learn from these things. You are not Dominik Hasek, but you needn't ever be. You are better. You play for this team. You play as a team. The Sabres will win a Stanley Cup with you.

This is my last year in the area, as I head off to college this coming fall, and I have to say, this was my last run with my favorite sports teams: Next year is the first time I will live anywhere away from spitting distance of the I-90 in my life, my first time in a new state, and I had decided long ago, so long ago, that this would be the last run for me. No more Yankees, no more Sabres, no more Bills, I'm starting fresh. But I want to say personally that over this last month and a half, I've never had more fun being a sports fan. I probably could have told you halfway through the season that Ottawa and Carolina were the two teams I wished we didn't have to face, but they almost did it, boys, they almost did it.

As the finale of this season comes and goes, you know, all I can say is this: This town, this team, us as people, me personally -- we've always been underdogs. Always counted out to the last degree, always waiting for the other shoe to drop, always being pinned against the proverbial wall, as if to say: "Oh yeah, well can you take this?" But like everybody else I've known from here, it's never mattered to me. I just keep on going, being beat and thrown against the boards, dominated and vowing that it would be my last, only to return again in the coming season with equal optimism and anticipation.

I have never, in my life, loved anything with as much non-physical, unadultered jubilation as I have loved sports. I have never seen a team that has said, "I love you too," more than this Sabres team. And for that, I will never forget this collection, this time, of almost heroes.

That's all.

I can honestly say that I believe this team if kept together, will truly become a dynasty that could win 3 or 4 cups before its over.

Now, it's up to the management to do their job. If they let key players like McKee and Grier walk away without even making a fair offer, I think they will enrage a lot of the fans...these guys are what this team is all about...

To make it worse, they put themselves in this position with their BS 1 year offer to McKee...hopefully he isn't too upset about it, and I really think he will want to stay...

Having played sports, I can honestly tell you that I have never been on a team this close, and I would be shocked if players didn't do everything they could to keep this team together... Noone wants to leave teams like this...these are the kind of teams most of the other NHL players would be dying to get on...

Reptilia, all of what you describe about Buffalo sports is why- even though I've now spent half my life in other cities - the only teams I cheer for and live and die with are my Sabres and Bills. One day the heartache will be lifted, and I cannot imagine not still being a fan when that day comes. You're still fairly young. When I was your age and left Buffalo I could not have imagined being this addicted to only Buffalo teams for this long. You may find your heart pulls you back!

Reptilia, all of what you describe about Buffalo sports is why- even though I've now spent half my life in other cities - the only teams I cheer for and live and die with are my Sabres and Bills. One day the heartache will be lifted, and I cannot imagine not still being a fan when that day comes. You're still fairly young. When I was your age and left Buffalo I could not have imagined being this addicted to only Buffalo teams for this long. You may find your heart pulls you back!

Yes at some point all of the heartache is gonna make the joy of victory taste even sweeter in the end. Go Sabres!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not lived in Buffalo since the summer of 1973 (I'm a geezer compared to most of you young guys) but i still bleed for the Buffalo teams. It was heartbreaking to see them lose (I was at the game) but I feel proud for the team. I hope they can be the same kind of team next year and have better luck on the health front. I have nothing but respect for the players and coaches.

Archived