If Mair is cleared to play

gilbert1175

Hi all,

Just wanted to get your opinions - now that Mair has been cleared to practice and assuming he gets cleared to play, what do you think, does Lindy put him in - and if he does, who does he sit, Pyatt, Vanek?

quote from the article

"Sabres center Adam Mair has been cleared by doctors for contact in practice. Mair has been out since April 7 after suffering his second concussion this season. He will have to be cleared by doctors again before playing in an actual game."

I think Ruff keeps the lineup the same, leaving Vanek and Pyatt in. However, we shouldn't disregard the news regarding Mair, I feel it's important that he's getting close. Pyatt has been playing like he is capable of, and it's been refreshing, but as everyone who has ever watched the Sabres knows, Pyatt tends to only really play well for about a week or so at a time.

Having Mair ready to go, in the near future, I think is valuable even if Ruff doesn't dress him, simply because it provides Pyatt with a little bit more of a spark. With Mair healthy, Pyatt must realize that if his play lags, Ruff will have no problem replacing him with Mair.

I think Ruff keeps the lineup the same, leaving Vanek and Pyatt in. However, we shouldn't disregard the news regarding Mair, I feel it's important that he's getting close. Pyatt has been playing like he is capable of, and it's been refreshing, but as everyone who has ever watched the Sabres knows, Pyatt tends to only really play well for about a week or so at a time.

Having Mair ready to go, in the near future, I think is valuable even if Ruff doesn't dress him, simply because it provides Pyatt with a little bit more of a spark. With Mair healthy, Pyatt must realize that if his play lags, Ruff will have no problem replacing him with Mair.

I thjink that pyatt is safe. However, he can bump himself up to vanek's spot and mair can fill in for pyatt's spot on the 4th line. This is win-win for sabres. Vanek needs to net a couple goals on saturday to remind everyone that he's a playmaker... If not, look for him to be benched, and the very capable pyatt to be moved up.

I don't think they will put Mair back in without assurances from the doctors that it is safe for him to play.

With that said, I think Mair jumps ahead of Novotny as first forward out of the press box in case either (i) someone gets hurt or (ii) Vanek is ineffective again. Right now I think Pyatt is solidly ahead of Vanek in the rotation. However, it's also possible that if we lose and Pyatt looks mediocre, Mair would come in for Pyatt.

I really like the Mair-Gaustad pairing -- bodies fly whenever they're out there -- and will be perfectly fine with Mair playing instead of Vanek. Vanek has a ton of potential but right now he just seems like an overwhelmed rookie.

It's a good problem to have. I'd love to have more of the same problem by getting Connolly back.

Go Sabres.

Archived