Am I allowed to watch Game 1

Eleven

Flyers series, Game 1: At a restaurant in DC that has no hockey packages, I caught only Connolly's opening goal on an ESPN highlight (minutes after it happened) before we were seated and I could see no more. My phone rings like crazy once the Sabres win. Sabres go on to win the series, but I don't see the opening game at all.

Senators series, Game 1: At a sports bar in rural Arizona, I had to leave with the game at 5-4 (in favor of Ottawa) to go to dinner (again at a restaurant that wasn't showing hockey). Thirty minutes later, my phone is ringing like crazy again. Sabres go on to win the series, but I don't see the end of the opening game.

So, I put it to you:

(1) Am I allowed to watch Game 1?

(2) The first 50 minutes of Game 1 (like the Ottawa series)?

(3) None of Game 1 (like the Flyers series)?

(4) Do I have to leave town again, as I did for the first two Games 1?

I'd really like to watch it, but I'll take one for the team if superstition so mandates.

I would say you shouldn't watch any of the game... it looks as though by you watching the Sabres will have a tough time maintaining a lead (as evidenced by the Senators game 1).

I have a similar situation. I wasn't able to watch a game in the Flyers series because I was driving from Buffalo to Boston that day. Told all my friends not to call me with any information on the game, refused to listen to any radiostation that might have clued me in on a score, and then watched the game when I got back to Boston that night. Sabres won!

Saturday I will be attending a funeral in NYC and will be driving back to Boston that afternoon, which means I will be going about 6 hours after the game has officially ended before I watch the taped game in Boston... let's hope nobody ruins the surprise for me and therefore causes a Sabres defeat!!!

Yeah... I guess you could say i'm pretty superstitious

Leave town, do not watch any of the first game, and eat dinner at some restaurant somewhere that doesn't show the game.

... for all of our sakes! Take one for the team!

As for me, I tuned into the Flyers game 4 on the radio b/c I couldn't catch it at work (no tvs at work). Sabres lose. After many misgivings, I tuned into the Ottawa game 4 on the radio again due to a late night at the office. Sabres lose again.

Sorry, RJ, no WGR listening for me! I am restricting my watching this series to t.v. with maybe a sync to RJ's call. I figure if I only sync, that doesn't count. Of course, if they lose, you can be damn sure I won't be tuning in at all after that (I'll just listen to the highlights after).

I have not watched a single Sabres playoff game this season. I moved to Dallas 11 years ago and do not have a dish or cable (call me cheap but I refuse to pay them bastards that much money so I can watch freakin' TV; I spend it at the stripbars instead ;) ).

I have been listening to every single Sabres game on NHL.com just so I can hear Jeanneret & Lorentz. I have to admit......just listening and not watching allows me to focus more on the action of the game. When you're watching it, you can see someone getting lined up for a monsterous check (i.e.) and be mentally prepared for the outcome. But when you're just listening to the game, you don't know what's about to happen until Rick yells out "Ohhhhhh, what a tremendous hit by Campbell....he absolutely crushed him!".

Anyways, that's my two cents. I'll probably start watching the Sabres if they make it to the Cup finals but until then, I'm content with just listening to Jeanneret call the play by play. "He Scooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!"

Archived