GAME THREAD

Corp000085

Dumb penalty, but Lindy Ruff definitely has gotten this team playing more disciplined tonight. Only 2 penalties in 2 periods is not bad. The Sabres dominated that 2nd period after being out-skated and somewhat out-played in the first period. In the new NHL, a 2 goal lead is nothing, but so far, so good.

Right now, Sidney Crosby up on the penalty shot for PIT vs. Ward and Ward stones him. Carolina wins the shootout 1-0.

Yeah, the last goal was the result of the new icing rule. That line was dog tired and the Bruins put out their best line and took advantage right off the bat. The Sabres have put in some good shifts since, especially from the Briere line. Gotta' get that goal back, if possible.

Connolly gets nabbed for another penalty, and Miller just comes up with an amazing save to rob Samsonov on the power play. Man, we gotta' get this puck out of the zone. Boston is hammering Miller so far.

EDIT: Burned off the power play, but Boston is totally controlling this game right now, and the Sabres are doing all they can to clear the zone each possession.

Miller just made another great save.

AND KOTALIK ON THE TURNOVER BREAKAWAY LIGHTS THE LAMP!!!!

3-1!!!!

Huge goal after an amazing stout effort by Miller. Man, that is an absolute NAILZ goal to go back up by 2 with 3:00 to go in the game. C'mon guys, let's keep it going.

2:00 to go and the Sabres are going on the power play for the rest of regulation. Gaustad getting an assist on Kotalik's goal with a nice little pass to release him. Good to see Paul get a point in this game. He has really played a scrappy game today.

Game Over!

Buffalo 4

Boston 1

Ryan Miller definitely gets my #1 star. He put up an amazing effort tonight and stood damn tall in that frantic 3rd period when the Bruins were peppering Miller. It really looked like the Sabres were going to let this one slip away, but Miller's goaltending kept them in this game. He looked poised and confident in there.

Awesome game. Tomorrow night is going to be another huge test of this young club.

I hardly noticed any of the defensemen tonight ... gave up a lot of shots but no glaring mistakes ... if they stay solid like that and don't give them any gifts, looks like Miller can handle the rest. He may not win games by himself but for the first time in a long time, the Sabres might not need their goalie to do that.

It is definitely a Golden Seal in my avatar ... no idea who, I found that pic on SI.com a couple years ago ...