The Sabres don't stand a chance

sabre31_98

...is the message being regurgitated by the so-called experts. Most of them are the same people who picked them to finish 13th in the East. We very well may lose this series, but I think we very well may win it. Sure, it is not the complete mismatch that we enjoyed with Philly, but we still match up pretty damned well with Ottawa; it is not like they are going to skate us out of the building or anything. I am getting a little tired of the national media sh1tting all over the Sabres. I keep hearing of the blowouts against the Sabres. Ottawa is not the same unstoppable team as they were then. Buffalo is not even close to that team that was blown out. They have gained confidence and experience X 1000 since then. What else do they have to prove????

...What else do they have to prove????

Well, we have to beat them, that's the only way people will stop dissing our team. Let's face it, the Sens are THE team to beat. (although I think NJ may be THE team) On paper, the Sens are totally dominating, especially with Havlat back in the lineup. Add Chara and a few more that they were missing the last time we played them and I can't see an objective hockey analyst picking the Sabres in this series. IF you are totally objective AND totally influenced by paper stats and name recognition, like most national sports analyst's are, you are going to pick the Sens... Until we beat the team at their best, we won't get the respect we deserve.

I'm glad no one is giving us respect, Ruff will use that and our youngsters don't like it and like to play with chips on their shoulders. This is going to be a FUN series. Bring it ON!!

I must add that I do not like the way the schedule is laid out. I'm afraid it may bite us... but it could work in our favor too... only time will tell

I liked ESPN's preview of the series. they still picked the Sens in seven, but they told it like it was concerning our boys. Face it: we don't have the glut of extremely talented players they do, in that if you disassembled that team and sent it to different places all over the league, each one of those players would still flourish. We, however, may be able to match them because this team really is greater than the sum of its parts. We're a cohesive whole built on whole sale team speed and interchangeability. And (maybe) great goaltending. and that might make us the better team. But let's not also delude ourselves that the better team always wins.

j

yea and lets not forget that edmonton did beat detroit... and colorado did beat dallas... so i mean anything is possible... and rolson was shakey at best for edmonton alot... so if miller stands tall i think we can do it... i just don't see emery stealing games for the sens when they really need it.

i just don't see emery stealing games for the sens when they really need it.

Why can Miller do that, but not Emery?

Emerys save Percentage was .902 during the regular season, miller beat him with a .914 .

However Rayzor is a notorious big-game performer which may explain why he's faced over 20 more shots than miller, and has a higher save % than him in the playoffs. Dont count Emery out

Emerys save Percentage was .902 during the regular season, miller beat him with a .914 .

However Rayzor is a notorious big-game performer which may explain why he's faced over 20 more shots than miller, and has a higher save % than him in the playoffs. Dont count Emery out

When did Emery earn this reputation as a big-game performer?

Everything I have read so far doesn't suggest that the Sabres don't have a chance, but rather that most things being equal between the two teams, you have to like Ottawa's talent and their home ice advantage.

The general consensus seems to be that the Sabres could win this series, and if they did it wouldn't be a huge upset, but most likely the Sens will win it. Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Couple things. First, I don't think either of them has faced enough shots in the playoffs for the stats to be completely accurate.

Also, Miller had a goal that was technically an empty netter counted against him. He was coming out of the net, and at about the blue line when Forsberg stole the puck from Afinogenov and shot it in. While he turned around as soon as Afinogenov lost the puck and dove for it, for all intensive purposes that was an empty net goal. Take that one away, and Miller has a .924 SV% in the playoffs, identical to Emery.

The Rayzor is going from the studio into goal for the Sens? For us, there's only one Rayzor and I'll bet ours will knock the stuffing out of yours in any shirtless battle on skates!!! :P

I am hopefull that the series is like the February game in Buffalo that ended in a shootout. Both teams were relatively healthy (although I can't remember who was missing at the time) and it was one of the most exciting games I have ever seen. It was kind of like both teams were trying to feel each other out, both were somewhat tenative, and it was a pitched battle- Sabres winning the first period, Ottawa the second, Sabres winning the third, and Ottawa winning the OT period. It proved to me anyway that either team could win.

Having said that, I think that Miller needs to have a big series for us to win. Goaltending was important in that Feb. game and I think it will be key in this series. If Miller can steal at least one game for us in Ottawa, look out. USA USA USA!!!

This might be one of those series where all of the games may give the unwitting fan for either team a cardiac arrest. B-)

Archived