Sabres playoff experience

LabattBlue

Number of playoff games(before yesterday) for the top 13 forwards, 7 defenseman & 2 goalies. If this team can make a deep run in the playoffs with so little experience, it will make for an amazing story. GO SABRES!!!!!

Experienced

Drury- 81

Teppo - 55

Grier - 41

McKee - 35

Hecht - 28

Moderate

Max - 17

Kalinin - 13

Dumont - 13

Very Little

Briere - 6

Lydman - 6

Fitzpatrick - 6

None

Gaustad

Vanek

Roy

Pominville

Kotalik

Pyatt

Miller

Campbell

Tallinder

Biron

Number of playoff games(before yesterday) for the top 13 forwards, 7 defenseman & 2 goalies. If this team can make a deep run in the playoffs with so little experience, it will make for an amazing story. GO SABRES!!!!!

Experienced

Drury- 81

Teppo - 55

Grier - 41

McKee - 35

Hecht - 28

Moderate

Max - 17

Kalinin - 13

Dumont - 13

Very Little

Briere - 6

Lydman - 6

Fitzpatrick - 6

None

Gaustad

Vanek

Roy

Pominville

Kotalik

Pyatt

Miller

Campbell

Tallinder

Biron

Like I said earlier. After last nights game they are all grizzeled vets. The way the game went was the best thing that could have happened to the Sabres. They had early success. Then face adversity and won the game.

Hitchcock was talking about making lineup changes to get his team "up to speed". That tells me he and the Flyers were not prepared. They thought the game would be called pre-locked style. ;)

Like I said earlier. After last nights game they are all grizzeled vets. The way the game went was the best thing that could have happened to the Sabres. They had early success. Then face adversity and won the game.

Hitchcock was talking about making lineup changes to get his team "up to speed". That tells me he and the Flyers were not prepared. They thought the game would be called pre-locked style. ;)

True. I was especially glad that Miller got the win because that could help erase some past playoff demons for him.

I disagree that the Phlyers thought the game would be called pre-lockout style. I will agree though that they were HOPING it would be. And to be honest, I thought through regulation, the game was nearly called pre-lockout style. There were tops, 3 penalties called in regulation that wouldn't have been called in '04. There were SEVERAL plays that could have been called and weren't (working both ways). The refs did a better job in OT than in regulation, but I still think Marouelli should have to buy a ticket like the rest of us if he wants to see anymore playoff action.

Carter, Richards, Meyer & Umberger played in their first playoff game yesterday.

While I do hope that the Phlyers medical staff is correct and he didn't have a concussion last night, I really doubt that he realizes he played his 1st playoff game.

DeLuca, I agree to a point about the Sabres playoff newbies transforming into "grizzled vets". I think you're right on that in terms of a learning process, and a confidence boost, it was a great way to open the playoffs. Hearing Lindy talking tonight on the TV news, he sure made it sound like losing that game would have been pretty rough on the guys (it would have been too...blowing a 2 goal lead, losing in OT, especially after matching Philly's phsycial play, getting 50+ shots off, controlling long stretches of play...and losing? Ouch)

Anyways, while I think it was a good win, in no way can 1 exciting playoff game suddenly transform half the roster into "grizzled vets"

To acheive Grizzly Status the newbies must (in my humble opinion)

1. Play an away game

2. Trail in a playoff game

3. Bounce back from trailing in a playoff game

4. Come back and win a game, after trailing

5. Win a series

6. Come back and win a series after trailing

7. Find a way to "steal a game" in a situation where they have no business winning.

Obviously, lot's of these things will be accomplished soon...and stipulations such as winning a series they trail in...hey, if they never get to that point, I won't mind. But let's not declare Tim Connolly or Paul Gaustad a "Grizzled Vet" when neither one has ever played in an opponent's building yet.

Of course, the Sabres DID steal games throughout the regular season, and find lots of ways to win. They were great on the road, and showed a fantastic ability to come back from defecits. I just want them to do it in the playoffs before we go giving them "Grizzly Status" and compliment them on their playoff beards.

Archived