This Day in Sabres History :: April 12

April 12, 1973

The Montreal Canadiens eliminate the Buffalo Sabres with a 4-2 win in Game 6. But the Habs cannot wipe out the spirit of the Sabres' faithful at the Aud, who sing their team's praises until the bitter end, serenading their boys with a chant of "Thank you Sabres!" The chant starts in the final minute, prompting Rick Martin to score a "you're welcome" goal with 12 seconds left, and continues through the postgame handshakes.

"The town was pretty much hockey-crazy. They were wild about the players, and the players were wild about the town," Schoenfeld would say 17 years later. "We had given everything we had and they recognized that. They were grateful for the effort. We were all moved by the chant. You never forget a moment like that."

Rene Robert didn't forget, either.

"I will never forget how good the crowd was to us," he said years later. "They stood behind us whether we won or lost. Not too many fans would give you a standing ovation for being beaten out of the playoffs."

"It was the most unbelievable feeling I've ever had," Coach Joe Crozier recalled.

April 12, 1992

The Sabres beat the Canadiens at the Aud in the first game after a 10-day players' strike.

April 12, 1973

The Montreal Canadiens eliminate the Buffalo Sabres with a 4-2 win in Game 6. But the Habs cannot wipe out the spirit of the Sabres' faithful at the Aud, who sing their team's praises until the bitter end, serenading their boys with a chant of "Thank you Sabres!" The chant starts in the final minute, prompting Rick Martin to score a "you're welcome" goal with 12 seconds left, and continues through the postgame handshakes.

"The town was pretty much hockey-crazy. They were wild about the players, and the players were wild about the town," Schoenfeld would say 17 years later. "We had given everything we had and they recognized that. They were grateful for the effort. We were all moved by the chant. You never forget a moment like that."

Rene Robert didn't forget, either.

"I will never forget how good the crowd was to us," he said years later. "They stood behind us whether we won or lost. Not too many fans would give you a standing ovation for being beaten out of the playoffs."

"It was the most unbelievable feeling I've ever had," Coach Joe Crozier recalled.

April 12, 1992

The Sabres beat the Canadiens at the Aud in the first game after a 10-day players' strike.

Man, I was not even born yet, but that moment still gives me the chills! I think it has been attempted in recent years by the faithful but it did not have the same effect. What a great moment in the history of the organization!