Masterton Trophy

PASabreFan

I just read that the Ottawa chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association nominated Dany Heatley for the Masterton Trophy, which is given annually to the player who best exemplifies perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey. I guess I have a problem with Heatley being nominated. Typically, the award goes to the player who overcomes a serious injury to come back and contribute to the game. Heatley is just coming back from his own stupidity. But instead of railing on him, I want to praise Tim Connolly, who should be our no-brainer nominee. I have no idea who the other candidates are, but Connolly would be a great choice, for reasons I don't have to get into here. By the way, former Sabres to win the award are Don Luce in 1975 and Pat LaFontaine in 1995. Patty was coming back from a serious knee injury and surgery, but I don't remember Luce's situation. Can anyone help me out?

I just read that the Ottawa chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association nominated Dany Heatley for the Masterton Trophy, which is given annually to the player who best exemplifies perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey. I guess I have a problem with Heatley being nominated. Typically, the award goes to the player who overcomes a serious injury to come back and contribute to the game. Heatley is just coming back from his own stupidity. But instead of railing on him, I want to praise Tim Connolly, who should be our no-brainer nominee. I have no idea who the other candidates are, but Connolly would be a great choice, for reasons I don't have to get into here. By the way, former Sabres to win the award are Don Luce in 1975 and Pat LaFontaine in 1995. Patty was coming back from a serious knee injury and surgery, but I don't remember Luce's situation. Can anyone help me out?

While the trophy is often given to a player who has overcome hardship or an injury, it isn't always, and I think in Luce's situation, it was simply given to a fantastic defensive forward because there was no Selke trophy then. There may have been some personal problems that we never knew about, but no injuries that took him away from the season. He played full seasons as a Sabre during his entire tenure here.

Archived