This Day in Sabres History :: April 8

April 8, 1973

Down three games to nothing in the opening round of the playoffs, the Sabres stay alive with a 5-1 win over the Canadiens at the Aud. The first postseason win in franchise history is highlighted by two goals and an assist from Gilbert Perreault and 24 shots from the French Connection, as many as all of the Habs combined.

April 8, 1980: After an outstanding regular season, the Sabres start their quest for the Stanley Cup with a 2-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks at the Aud in the best of five preliminary round. Don Luce scores the winning goal.

April 8, 2001

The Flyers wrest home ice advantage from the Sabres with a 2-1 win at HSBC Arena on the final day of the regular season. Former Sabre Derek Plante scores 57 seconds into the third period to break a scoreless tie, and after Donald Audette ties the game, Ruslan Fedotenko beats Dominik Hasek with seven minutes to go with a long-range shot. It is a day of offensive frustration for the Sabres, who see 30-year-old rookie goalie Roman Cechmanek make 36 saves and Doug Gilmour miss on a pair of clean-cut breakaways. Dave Andreychuk and Max Afinogenov are healthy scratches in favor of -- Rob Ray and Eric Boulton. The Sabres officially clinch the Jennings Trophy for fewest goals allowed in the league, but they come up short in their quest for a 100-point season, finishing with 98. For the fifth time in seven years, the Flyers await in the playoffs.

April 8, 2001

The Flyers wrest home ice advantage from the Sabres with a 2-1 win at HSBC Arena on the final day of the regular season. Former Sabre Derek Plante scores 57 seconds into the third period to break a scoreless tie, and after Donald Audette ties the game, Ruslan Fedotenko beats Dominik Hasek with seven minutes to go with a long-range shot. It is a day of offensive frustration for the Sabres, who see 30-year-old rookie goalie Roman Cechmanek make 36 saves and Doug Gilmour miss on a pair of clean-cut breakaways. Dave Andreychuk and Max Afinogenov are healthy scratches in favor of -- Rob Ray and Eric Boulton. The Sabres officially clinch the Jennings Trophy for fewest goals allowed in the league, but they come up short in their quest for a 100-point season, finishing with 98. For the fifth time in seven years, the Flyers await in the playoffs.

Never felt so bad after a regular season loss as I did this one. Basically playing for home ice against the very team youre facing in the playoffs. Roman Cechmanek was superhuman against Buffalo that year. My feeling was if we lost home ice it was bye bye for us. Well, we all know what happened. SABRES IN 6!

April 1973: Anyone think we have a chance to take the Habs - maybe even an OT win - and force a game six at the Aud?

There was always that hope, but no... I didn't think it would happen. Just the fact that we made the playoffs was awesome to me.