Who to Start in Goal on Friday?

Taro T

It's gotta be Marty. Let Miller sit on the bench for a while. Has anyone else noticed how often he waves at pucks with his glove-hand?

The guy reminds me of Queen Elizabeth during a parade.

I don't like the color of his hair either.

Um, right.

Marty played good the other night, but not great. Miller's got almost a full week of practice and something to prove again. Miller on the top of his game is better than Marty on the top of his game. It's time to see if he has come around.

EDIT: I seem to remember another game against Philly when there was some debate about starting Miller. I think we all remember how that turned out.

Here my anlogy, its kinda like the movie major league where Ricky Vaughun got rock by that yankee hitter (this is my favorite movie and a can't remeber the guys name) then in the rubber match when the games on the line the coach putts Ricky in to strike him out. I think this is what been happening to Miller I think ready to show eveybody that he is the #1 and should be the #1 in the playoffs. Playing the two teams we will probably bet facing in the playoffs this weekend and winning would be like Ricky stiking out Haywood (that his name). Or another way you could put it is that Ottawa is Miller's Yankees and he should play them to show that he can win. Either way my chose is Miller.

Well it's 2 zip for the team they are trying to keep out of 4th, in their own building.

Miller has lost his mojo. This was not a good move by Ruff. Miller is not ready for the pressure. Biron is the goalie to go with until he loses.

Well it's 2 zip for the team they are trying to keep out of 4th, in their own building.

Miller has lost his mojo. This was not a good move by Ruff. Miller is not ready for the pressure. Biron is the goalie to go with until he loses.

Do you really think Biron looked that much better in his win than Miller in his loss? They both gave up 4 goals on 34 shots.

Sorry but I don't buy the "go with the guy that's winning" argument when they have equal numbers. Miller didn't look great, but Biron didn't exactly win the Ottawa game for us either. Would you still "go with the guy who's winning" if the Flyers won 2-1?

With that said, Biron gets the start tomorrow. Split up the back to backs. Maybe if he puts up a big performance he can convince me he has won the starting job (he was halfway there against Toronto, but didn't exactly impress me against Ottawa the other night).

Do you really think Biron looked that much better in his win than Miller in his loss? They both gave up 4 goals on 34 shots.

Sorry but I don't buy the "go with the guy that's winning" argument when they have equal numbers. Miller didn't look great, but Biron didn't exactly win the Ottawa game for us either. Would you still "go with the guy who's winning" if the Flyers won 2-1?

With that said, Biron gets the start tomorrow. Split up the back to backs. Maybe if he puts up a big performance he can convince me he has won the starting job (he was halfway there against Toronto, but didn't exactly impress me against Ottawa the other night).

I didn't see the Ottawa game, so I don't know if Biron looked much better than Miller. I do know he let the team skate for over 19 minutes without giving up a goal and I honestly can't remember the last time Ryan gave them 10 minutes without giving up a goal.

As I posted in another thread, it isn't the quantity of the goals Ryan is giving up (although that isn't good either), it is the timing and the situations of the goals he is giving up that are the killers.

I agree that Marty starts in Ottawa tomorrow. I don't know that the starting role is his to lose, but right now Ryan refuses to step up and take the starting role. Until Ryan TAKES the role, it will have to be Marty's out of necessity. This is not the scenario I was hoping to see going into the playoffs, because as you stated in another thread; Ryan at his best is better than Marty at his best.

I didn't see the Ottawa game, so I don't know if Biron looked much better than Miller. I do know he let the team skate for over 19 minutes without giving up a goal and I honestly can't remember the last time Ryan gave them 10 minutes without giving up a goal.

As I posted in another thread, it isn't the quantity of the goals Ryan is giving up (although that isn't good either), it is the timing and the situations of the goals he is giving up that are the killers.

I agree that Marty starts in Ottawa tomorrow. I don't know that the starting role is his to lose, but right now Ryan refuses to step up and take the starting role. Until Ryan TAKES the role, it will have to be Marty's out of necessity. This is not the scenario I was hoping to see going into the playoffs, because as you stated in another thread; Ryan at his best is better than Marty at his best.

Dave, as always you make some great points. But I think Biron failed to make some timely saves in the Ottawa game. He let in the first goal with less than a minute left in the first, and gave up the go ahead goal with just over 5 minutes left in the game.

This is my official "Lindy Ruff does know what he is doing with the goalies" post.

I did not think that Ryan could get it done in Ottawa. (3 weeks from now, maybe, but heading into last night, I simply did not see Ryan being able to get it done.) Lindy didn't lose faith in him and it worked out well. I questioned Lindy's handling of the goalies frequently at the beginning of the season and was questioning again in the last couple of weeks. Lindy has done well with them.

My guess is that Lindy gives Ryan both of the Montreal starts and probably the Carolina start. Marty goes against TO. Hopefully the Ottawa game was the 1st in a long run of quality starts for Ryan. If it was, the next couple of months could be pretty fun.

This is my official "Lindy Ruff does know what he is doing with the goalies" post.

I did not think that Ryan could get it done in Ottawa. (3 weeks from now, maybe, but heading into last night, I simply did not see Ryan being able to get it done.) Lindy didn't lose faith in him and it worked out well. I questioned Lindy's handling of the goalies frequently at the beginning of the season and was questioning again in the last couple of weeks. Lindy has done well with them.

My guess is that Lindy gives Ryan both of the Montreal starts and probably the Carolina start. Marty goes against TO. Hopefully the Ottawa game was the 1st in a long run of quality starts for Ryan. If it was, the next couple of months could be pretty fun.

Dave, I agree with your choices for the starts. Unless Ryan struggles in one of the Montreal starts. If he keeps up the good work, he will make that Buffalo News article look like it came a few days too late. I want to see a couple more quality games, but I think Ryan is ready to keep his starting job for the playoff run.

Archived