The NHL and the Olympics: Status Not Happening

LGR4GM

Before you guys all lose your crap and are like "ummm duhhh we are talking about it in around the NHL thread"... this deserves it's own thread because it isn't over and should be brought away from a thread dedicated to the playoffs at this point. So the NHL will not allow players to go to the Olympics. Partly because they are well the NHL and partly because the IOC is ridiculous and has been for years. So what are the fallouts? will this change? is Gary Bettman a cyborg set to destroy us? Well let's talk about it!

I am annoyed the NHL guys wont be at the Olympics. That said I am more worried about this http://nypost.com/2017/04/09/how-nhl-nixing-the-olympics-is-a-harbinger-of-another-lockout/ 

What happens if the players are upset and decide this is one of their grievances against the NHL? What if they lockout again? see this has far reaching implications and we should discuss them in their own thread.

PS not being able to see Jack and Matthews together makes me sad, those two are going to be so good. Couple them with the top of the line American defenders in pipe... skys the limit for team USA potentially.

giphy.gif

You'll get to see Eichel & Matthews together in the next World Cup & in China in 2022, assuming they truly aren't going to Korea next year.

The lockout is happening when the players opt out 1 year earlier than necessary just like the last 3 lockouts. The Olympics won't factor in in reality.

The bigger concern for the Sabres is whether Antipin (sp?) decides to stay in Russia rather than sign w/ Buffalo to be able to play in the Olympics.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.