Rangers or Flyers?

PASabreFan

While the Sabres will be pulling their thumbs out of their nether regions and wondering what stinks, the loser of the race for the Atlantic Division, although deflated a bit, will be a playoff-ready team when the regular season is over. That's assuming that the race for the title remains a hot one.

While the Sabres will be pulling their thumbs out of their nether regions and wondering what stinks, the loser of the race for the Atlantic Division, although deflated a bit, will be a playoff-ready team when the regular season is over. That's assuming that the race for the title remains a hot one.

Here's why we should feel good. We're 3-0 against the Flyers, and 2-0-2 against the Rangers. Look at it this way...we handed the last game to the Rangers on a silver platter, and they got a shootout win. The other shootout win was odd to say the least. Noronen pulled his groin during the third, and pretty much gave up the game tying goal because of it. Faced one shooter in the shootout, and gave up a goal because his lateral movement was severely limited. Biron came in cold and gave up the other 2. If we get things back on track we can be successful against the Rangers.

an in-state first round playoff matchup would brew some serious bad blood between the east and west of new york state... that would be a great playoff matchup... i just don't like the jagr factor... the last time we were in the playoffs he was almost impossible to contain and our defense isn't as good as it was then i don't think.

an in-state first round playoff matchup would brew some serious bad blood between the east and west of new york state... that would be a great playoff matchup... i just don't like the jagr factor... the last time we were in the playoffs he was almost impossible to contain and our defense isn't as good as it was then i don't think.

Agreed that Jagr would definately be a problem...especially since he decided that he wants to play this year. But do the Rangers rely on him too much? Kevin Slyvester pointed out on one of the TMS podcasts (and I noticed it at the game too) that towards the end of the last game on the PP, there was no doubt in anyone's mind where the shot was coming from. So, while Jagr is deadly, he can be limited.

This over-reliance can also be exploited in a 7 game series. When the Rangers are down, Jagr spends a ton of time on the ice. Doing this over the course of a 7 game series could spell trouble for the Rangers against a team that rolls 4 lines.

I think the bigger key is can Miller go toe to toe with Lundqvist. When Miller is on his game I think he can (as he has done twice this year already). The only problem is that right now...Miller is not looking anywhere near as good as Lundqvist. That is something that definately needs to be solved in the next 18 days.

Here's why we should feel good. We're 3-0 against the Flyers, and 2-0-2 against the Rangers. Look at it this way...we handed the last game to the Rangers on a silver platter, and they got a shootout win. The other shootout win was odd to say the least. Noronen pulled his groin during the third, and pretty much gave up the game tying goal because of it. Faced one shooter in the shootout, and gave up a goal because his lateral movement was severely limited. Biron came in cold and gave up the other 2. If we get things back on track we can be successful against the Rangers.

That was a differnet sabres team that beat them earlier in the season.

Archived