Prediction time: What trades will occur on or before the draft?

nfreeman

Game on!  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Sabres will be traded on or before the draft? (Choose as many as you like -- but remember, this is not what you want to happen, this is your prediction as to what will happen.)

• Enroth
    • Hackett
    • Myers
    • Ehrhoff
    • Ruhwedel
    • Pysyk
    • Foligno
    • Ennis
    • Stewart
    • Stafford
    • Hodgson
    • Grigorenko
    • Armia
    • Larsson
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Will the Sabres make a "holy mackerel" huge trade?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If you were TM and could obtain the #12 pick in the draft for any of the following packages, would you make the deal? (Choose as many as you like.)

• Myers
    • Pysyk plus the Sabres' top #2 pick this year
    • Ennis plus the Sabres' bottom #2 pick this year
    • Ehrhoff plus the Sabres' middle #2 pick this year
    • The Islanders' #1 pick next year
    • Foligno plus the Blues' #1 pick next year
    • None of the above

I am going to toss out an alternative trade idea out there for the #12 pick this year. Phoenix's #12 & #44 picks for Hodgson and the Sabres #31 & #39 picks. I would be ecstatic if the Commissioner stepped up the podium and announced this trade. That would my "holy mackerel" trade.

i like Hodgson better than you and Sizzle do, but that is intriguing, at least if Barbashev is there.

And I'm not sure if we would need to throw in 39 — 61 might even get it done.

You are correct, I was more thinking along the lines of if you trade him to a contender team, he would be more willing/likely to play longer and not retire early. We are still on the hook for cap recapture but IIRC it is lessened if we trade him because some of the cap benefit is taken by his new team.

(As I understand it) That would be true *if* we wasn't already making the same as his cap hit ($4M) now. If the Sabres trade him and he retires before the contract is up, the Sabres take all of the recapture penalty and the other team none. The other team isn't getting any cap benefit (paying more than the cap hit) so they get no penalty. Essentially, if Ehrhoff retires before the end of the contract, the Sabres take a hit no matter what. He's been paid $10M more than his cap hit, and until 2017 he's not making less than his cap hit. If the Sabres trade him before 2017 and he retires, the Sabres penalty will be that $10M divided by how many years are left on the contract. If he retires 2 years before the contract is up, it's a penalty of $5M/yr for 2 years. If it's the last year, the penalty is $10M for that one year.

If we trade hodgson, and I'm not opposed, we're going to absolutely have to sign a vet center out of FA, or none of these young kids is going to get to touch the puck enough to learn hockey.

Or.................. we could NOT sign a center, and just count on McDavid playing #1 pivot in 15-16.

(As I understand it) That would be true *if* we wasn't already making the same as his cap hit ($4M) now. If the Sabres trade him and he retires before the contract is up, the Sabres take all of the recapture penalty and the other team none. The other team isn't getting any cap benefit (paying more than the cap hit) so they get no penalty. Essentially, if Ehrhoff retires before the end of the contract, the Sabres take a hit no matter what. He's been paid $10M more than his cap hit, and until 2017 he's not making less than his cap hit. If the Sabres trade him before 2017 and he retires, the Sabres penalty will be that $10M divided by how many years are left on the contract. If he retires 2 years before the contract is up, it's a penalty of $5M/yr for 2 years. If it's the last year, the penalty is $10M for that one year.

Which is exactly why he won't be traded, so we can Pronger him into his retirement with no cap hit. Keeping him in house or buying him out are the only realistic options.

Which is exactly why he won't be traded, so we can Pronger him into his retirement with no cap hit. Keeping him in house or buying him out are the only realistic options.

Yep. Can you trade an injured player? If so, I suppose Buffalo could trade for an injured Ehrhoff to then use the Pronger plan on him. It would depend on if the other team would benefit more from whatever Buffalo gives (mid draft pick?) or by hosing Buffalo's cap.

Yep. Can you trade an injured player? If so, I suppose Buffalo could trade for an injured Ehrhoff to then use the Pronger plan on him. It would depend on if the other team would benefit more from whatever Buffalo gives (mid draft pick?) or by hosing Buffalo's cap.

If TM hands the power over what could be more than 10% of our cap, even for a year, to another team, the internet will have him frozen below the center ice circle before game one next season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.