OT: USA Basketball vs Spain, Tuesday 7/24 4:30 PM (ESPN2)

nfreeman

OK, I know many here don't like basketball and/or the NBA, but if you're even a little interested, today's game should be well worth your time.

(FWIW, I find most regular-season NBA games close to unwatchable, but I enjoy the NBA playoffs -- and in fact thought the 3rd and 4th rounds of the NBA playoffs this year were substantially more entertaining than the NHL playoffs.)

I like Mike Krzyzewski a lot and generally enjoy the Olympic basketball tournament. The US team should win, but the rest of the world is steadily catching up. The US beat Argentina a couple of days ago, but had to hang on at the end to scratch out a 6-point win. Spain is generally regarded as the 2nd-best team in the tournament. They have 3 legit NBA stars starting at forward (the Gasol brothers and Serge Ibaka from OKC), and the game is in Barcelona. It could be a great game.

And who knows? Maybe if we take our minds off of the Sabres for a couple of hours, they'll pull off a trade.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

OK, I know many here don't like basketball and/or the NBA, but if you're even a little interested, today's game should be well worth your time.

(FWIW, I find most regular-season NBA games close to unwatchable, but I enjoy the NBA playoffs -- and in fact thought the 3rd and 4th rounds of the NBA playoffs this year were substantially more entertaining than the NHL playoffs.)

I like Mike Krzyzewski a lot and generally enjoy the Olympic basketball tournament. The US team should win, but the rest of the world is steadily catching up. The US beat Argentina a couple of days ago, but had to hang on at the end to scratch out a 6-point win. Spain is generally regarded as the 2nd-best team in the tournament. They have 3 legit NBA stars starting at forward (the Gasol brothers and Serge Ibaka from OKC), and the game is in Barcelona. It could be a great game.

And who knows? Maybe if we take our minds off of the Sabres for a couple of hours, they'll pull off a trade.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

I wish I could watch it. Part of me think a loss for our boys today could be the best thing to happen to them in the Olympic tournament. They would then seek to destroy teams (especially Spain.)

I take it back. Beat Spain. U-S-A!

I can't wait. Love basketball, love the Olympics, and I really want to see how the USA team as constructed will fair against a team with multiple post players. Unfortunately I'll probably miss the first quarter of the game (going to see Batman at 2), but I'll be heading home right after the movie to watch the rest of the game.

I can't wait. Love basketball, love the Olympics, and I really want to see how the USA team as constructed will fair against a team with multiple post players. Unfortunately I'll probably miss the first quarter of the game (going to see Batman at 2), but I'll be heading home right after the movie to watch the rest of the game.

That's really the fascinating development here. Past USA teams have been able match strength on strength (They could go big. They could go small. They could outmuscle and/or outrun you), but this team really can't do that.

As constructed this team is medium sized (...for basketball players...) and extremely athletic. Can Spain slow down and dirty up the game enough to make a run? Argentina was almost able to that, and Marc Gasol > Luis Scola.

Should be fun. Our boys should run them off the court and shut up the Catalan crowd, but if it stays close and the crowd is into it.....

That's really the fascinating development here. Past USA teams have been able match strength on strength (They could go big. They could go small. They could outmuscle and/or outrun you), but this team really can't do that.

As constructed this team is medium sized (...for basketball players...) and extremely athletic. Can Spain slow down and dirty up the game enough to make a run? Argentina was almost able to that, and Marc Gasol > Luis Scola.

Should be fun. Our boys should run them off the court and shut up the Catalan crowd, but if it stays close and the crowd is into it.....

Exactly, it's going to be speed against size. LeBron and Carmelo in the post will obviously be at a size disadvantage against the Gasols...but they're also much quicker and should be able to get around them at times, even in the half-court set. Can't wait.

I think the US will be able to defend very well. The key will be whether they can move the ball and hit open jump shots in the half-court offense against a very physical team with a lot of size that will be getting all of the calls.

I think the US will be able to defend very well. The key will be whether they can move the ball and hit open jump shots in the half-court offense against a very physical team with a lot of size that will be getting all of the calls.

I don't question the US ability to defend Spain. The Spanish have a size advantage but only one of those guys (Pau) can really score. Between Chandler and Davis I don't see Spain get a ton of easy buckets from their bigs.

What scares me is on the other end. Can Lebron and Melo and Durant get easy buckets against that huge Spanish interior? Especially since the NBA tactic of driving and getting bailed out by the refs will be gone. If the refs call a ton of offensive fouls.....could be a long night.

USA needs to get CP3 driving and kicking out to the Kevins for open looks. That shorter 3 point line is a joke to those guys. As long as there is no hero ball, and as long as Lamar doesn't put Spain to the free throw line a bunch of times USA should be good.

I don't question the US ability to defend Spain. The Spanish have a size advantage but only one of those guys (Pau) can really score. Between Chandler and Davis I don't see Spain get a ton of easy buckets from their bigs.

What scares me is on the other end. Can Lebron and Melo and Durant get easy buckets against that huge Spanish interior? Especially since the NBA tactic of driving and getting bailed out by the refs will be gone. If the refs call a ton of offensive fouls.....could be a long night.

USA needs to get CP3 driving and kicking out to the Kevins for open looks. That shorter 3 point line is a joke to those guys. As long as there is no hero ball, and as long as Lamar doesn't put Spain to the free throw line a bunch of times USA should be good.

Good call. I think the Kevins will hit their jumpers, as will Kobe and Carmelo, but I'm not as confident about Westbrook, Williams and Paul. And even LeBron's jumper is streaky. Spain will play smart team defense that will require the US to hit a decent number of outside and mid-range jumpers.

Good call. I think the Kevins will hit their jumpers, as will Kobe and Carmelo, but I'm not as confident about Westbrook, Williams and Paul. And even LeBron's jumper is streaky. Spain will play smart team defense that will require the US to hit a decent number of outside and mid-range jumpers.

Do we know the starting line up? Does Coach K go with his best line up or does he start Davis and Odom (giving Chandler some rest and allowing Davis to play in a hostile environement)?

In Coach K I trust

Archived