NFL Trades

Trettioåtta

So i don't/never have lived in America, and so i don't get the whole NFL obsession. But i was on wikipedia and found that Tebow was traded cos Manning signed with the Broncos (for what is such an obscene amount of money).

However, Tebow seemed to be touted as a pretty good young QB. But he was traded with a 7th for a 4th and a 6th round picks, which seems like he was pretty much given away? Are trades very different in the NFL?

Also don't the Jets have a pretty good QB anyway?

(I am sure these are basic questions, but (in theory) i am revising for finals, so don't have time to investigate)

1. Tebow WAS pretty much 'just given away.' This was done primarily because the circus comes to town w/ Tim and Elway didn't want any part of that circus. Manning (if healthy) is a much better QB than Tebow and will be the starter.

2. Trades are fairly rare in the NFL. Primarily due to the trade deadline being very early in the season and the way how bonuses get accounted for when a player gets traded. (That may have been modified in the latest CBA, haven't followed that aspect of the CBA too closely.)

3. The Jest have a QB that has won a lot of road playoff games arguably because he's had a very strong D and a strong running game. Most (though definitely not all) observers would say that the Jest have won despite Sanchez.

And the Jest under Rex Ryan look to be the circus, so might as well bring it home.

Archived