San Jose

McJeff215

So, as it turns out, I'll be in San Jose on March 1st when the Sabres are out there. Of course, I intend on buying tickets. Two questions:

1. What's the Buffalo contingent like out there? I know games here in Atlanta were always half full of Sabres fans.

2. I've never been to that arena. Any bay area locals have advice?

Thanks!

So, as it turns out, I'll be in San Jose on March 1st when the Sabres are out there. Of course, I intend on buying tickets. Two questions:

1. What's the Buffalo contingent like out there? I know games here in Atlanta were always half full of Sabres fans.

2. I've never been to that arena. Any bay area locals have advice?

Thanks!

having never been to the arena itself but having been to SJ a few times, i'd be a little leery of being overly enthusiastic about another team. the arena will probably be relatively safe, but outside of that, i wouldn't go walking around downtown SJ with a sabres jersey on. SJ kind of strikes me as the philly of the west, when it comes to sports.

having never been to the arena itself but having been to SJ a few times, i'd be a little leery of being overly enthusiastic about another team. the arena will probably be relatively safe, but outside of that, i wouldn't go walking around downtown SJ with a sabres jersey on. SJ kind of strikes me as the philly of the west, when it comes to sports.

This is true, I would hope its not as bad as going to a football game in Oakland. My whole family are raider fans and im the only bills fan. My brother begged me not to wear my buffalo gear hahaha. Just gotta be careful

I've been to the bay area a good dozen times, but I've never been to a Sharks game. My assumption was that its not much of a hockey town. Though, even if decking myself out in Sabres gear is a bad idea, it will still be nice to see some fans that care. I've been in Thrashersville for years!!

I grew up in Atwater, California. I went to games at the San Jose Arena... I mean the HP Pavilion, all the time. One of the first games I ever went to as a kid was at the Cow Palace before the HP Pavilion was even built. 6-5 win over Hartford. Last game I went to was in 2003. I loved the Arena. The area around the arena wasn't too developed but there was a nice museum and down town area to walk a few blocks away. The Players hotel is right around the corner. I remember sitting outside the lobby and getting autographs of visiting players. A game in San Jose is very enjoyable and the arena has lots of good seats. If you're going to be in the area if definitely worth a trip and the expense. I'm not a Sharks fan and traditionally wore Buffalo Sabres gear to the game, along with my Dad and Mom, even if the Sharks weren't playing the Sabres. I never ran into any hostilities. The Oakland Raiders' games are where the riff raff hang out, not at a hockey game.

I'm from a huge Military Family, My father was in the Air Force and is originally from Lancaster, NY. I grew up on the West Coast because of the Military but I took regular trips to Buffalo as a kid to visit family. The Sharks were the local team and I support them when I can, but I was brought up from birth to be a Sabres fan. I cherish the times I got to go to the Aud and watch the Sabres in Buffalo, but I went to far more games at the Cow Palace and the San Jose Arena.

I grew up in Fresno California and now live in Oregon, I have never been to the shark tank but i am thinking of driving on down for this game. Its just hard to buy tickets now with the way they been playing.

I was a Fresno Falcons season ticket holder before I moved and I went to CSU Fresno (Fresno State). Played a lot of baseball in the Fresno area growing up.

Very cool to see some Sabres fans from Fresno! Was born and raised in Fresno. Family moved down to Los Ang-hell-es in 2000. Miss it every day.

Been to HP Pavilion but not for a hockey game. It's a nice, clean venue. It's in downtown but didn't strike me as unsafe or anything. Go for it!

Since fresno is being thrown in, it sucks the Falcons folded, they were a good team when they did too. Wonder if they will ever see pro hockey again.

As for the Cow Palace I hear that SF is getting an ECHL team to be playing in that arena next year. How is that arena? I have heard it's a dump of sorts I guess

Alright, I'll see if I can't get some of my coworkers to go and we'll head down there. I've not run into many bad parts of SJ (and there are some awesome restaurants down there... it's easier to get to than SF when in the valley). I'll make sure I drag a local with me. Looking forward to it.

I went to college in the Bay. Oak/SF more specifically. From my experience there isn't much of a transplant presence. I mean hockey in general isn't that well followed out there but I didnt meet many Bills fans either. Good Luck man

I moved to the Greater Bay Area from WNY many years ago and have seen about 7 or 8 games in San Jose, all against the Sabres. There are usually a decent amount of Sabres fans present. A few years back, while the Sabres were on their way to a 7-2(?) victory, the "ONE - TWO - THREE - FOUR - FIVE - WE WANT SIX" chant got going. Clear evidence of a Sabre fan presence. [Good times...] San Jose fan wasn't happy, but they were never belligerent from what I witnessed.

Though it sounds like you will be in San Jose already, if you are headed to the game from San Francisco, Cal Train is a great option. It's only about $15 round trip. The train stops across the street from HP Pavillion and you can legally consume your favorite beverage on the ride there. I cannot make it this March but look forward to going every year. Hope you have a great time and the Sabes have good look at the playoffs by then.

I moved to the Greater Bay Area from WNY many years ago and have seen about 7 or 8 games in San Jose, all against the Sabres. There are usually a decent amount of Sabres fans present. A few years back, while the Sabres were on their way to a 7-2(?) victory, the "ONE - TWO - THREE - FOUR - FIVE - WE WANT SIX" chant got going. Clear evidence of a Sabre fan presence. [Good times...] San Jose fan wasn't happy, but they were never belligerent from what I witnessed.

Though it sounds like you will be in San Jose already, if you are headed to the game from San Francisco, Cal Train is a great option. It's only about $15 round trip. The train stops across the street from HP Pavillion and you can legally consume your favorite beverage on the ride there. I cannot make it this March but look forward to going every year. Hope you have a great time and the Sabes have good look at the playoffs by then.

Yeah, I'll be staying in Mountain View =) I know my way around pretty good around there, just wanted to get some advice on the arena/crowd.

Plenty of ex-WNYers in the SF Bay. Larry Quinn was known to poke his head in the North Star Cafe (Bills/Sabres) bar in the heart of the North Beach in SF. The bar usually runs a bus down to the Pavilion for Sabres/Sharks tilts. San Jose crowd is tame.

Raider fan can pimp out his woman a few times a year to grab a cheap seat at the Coliseum. Hockey prices him out of the market assuming there was interest to begin with. You'll be fine.

I grew up in Atwater, California. I went to games at the San Jose Arena... I mean the HP Pavilion, all the time. One of the first games I ever went to as a kid was at the Cow Palace before the HP Pavilion was even built. 6-5 win over Hartford. Last game I went to was in 2003. I loved the Arena. The area around the arena wasn't too developed but there was a nice museum and down town area to walk a few blocks away. The Players hotel is right around the corner. I remember sitting outside the lobby and getting autographs of visiting players. A game in San Jose is very enjoyable and the arena has lots of good seats. If you're going to be in the area if definitely worth a trip and the expense. I'm not a Sharks fan and traditionally wore Buffalo Sabres gear to the game, along with my Dad and Mom, even if the Sharks weren't playing the Sabres. I never ran into any hostilities. The Oakland Raiders' games are where the riff raff hang out, not at a hockey game.

I'm from a huge Military Family, My father was in the Air Force and is originally from Lancaster, NY. I grew up on the West Coast because of the Military but I took regular trips to Buffalo as a kid to visit family. The Sharks were the local team and I support them when I can, but I was brought up from birth to be a Sabres fan. I cherish the times I got to go to the Aud and watch the Sabres in Buffalo, but I went to far more games at the Cow Palace and the San Jose Arena.

I was a Fresno Falcons season ticket holder before I moved and I went to CSU Fresno (Fresno State). Played a lot of baseball in the Fresno area growing up.

Aw man i miss the fresno falcons,i remember there was this red headed guy ( i forget his name) but he would fight anyone at anytime. I went to many falcon games growing up and loved when they played bakersfield because there was lots of big hits. The fresno falcons is one of the reasons i love hockey, i always had a blast and will never forget those times. My brother went to fresno state also ( bout time they fire Pat Hill ) So what did you pay for season tickets back then? I think i paid like 20 bucks per game for some pretty cool seats.

I also ran around atwater and merced alot back in the day. I have many friends in that area.

Very cool to see some Sabres fans from Fresno! Was born and raised in Fresno. Family moved down to Los Ang-hell-es in 2000. Miss it every day.

Been to HP Pavilion but not for a hockey game. It's a nice, clean venue. It's in downtown but didn't strike me as unsafe or anything. Go for it!

Blackstone? Shaw? Go Bulldogs!

Since fresno is being thrown in, it sucks the Falcons folded, they were a good team when they did too. Wonder if they will ever see pro hockey again.

As for the Cow Palace I hear that SF is getting an ECHL team to be playing in that arena next year. How is that arena? I have heard it's a dump of sorts I guess

Im not sure why the falcons folded,all i no is the people in the central valley loved fresno falcon hockey.

Aw man i miss the fresno falcons,i remember there was this red headed guy ( i forget his name) but he would fight anyone at anytime. I went to many falcon games growing up and loved when they played bakersfield because there was lots of big hits. The fresno falcons is one of the reasons i love hockey, i always had a blast and will never forget those times. My brother went to fresno state also ( bout time they fire Pat Hill ) So what did you pay for season tickets back then? I think i paid like 20 bucks per game for some pretty cool seats.

I also ran around atwater and merced alot back in the day. I have many friends in that area.

Blackstone? Shaw? Go Bulldogs!

Im not sure why the falcons folded,all i no is the people in the central valley loved fresno falcon hockey.

The economy. This was back in 08-09

I believe the guy you're talking about is Greg Spenrath. I don't remember how much the season tickets were, It's been close to 9 years since then and I shared them with a couple of my friends. I want to say they were under $20 a ticket and we sat Row 2 next to the opposing team's bench at Selland Arena. I loved going to the Falcons games. I especially enjoyed games versus San Diego, Bakersfield, and Idaho. Huge Rivary games. I remember an awesome line brawl and physical game between the Falcons and Gulls where even the Goalies, Terry Friesen and Trevor Koenig got into a fight at Center Ice.

I think the Falcons biggest problem was the Economy and their move to the Save Mart Center. They lost a lot of money after they left Selland Arena and they just couldn't fill the new Arena.

Fresno State Football hasn't been the same since Reggie Bush ran all over them in one of the best College Football games I've ever seen back in 2005. That was their peak, and it's been all down Hill since then.

If the people you know from Atwater are around 28 years old then I probably know them. Small towns. lol

I believe the guy you're talking about is Greg Spenrath. I don't remember how much the season tickets were, It's been close to 9 years since then and I shared them with a couple of my friends. I want to say they were under $20 a ticket and we sat Row 2 next to the opposing team's bench at Selland Arena. I loved going to the Falcons games. I especially enjoyed games versus San Diego, Bakersfield, and Idaho. Huge Rivary games. I remember an awesome line brawl and physical game between the Falcons and Gulls where even the Goalies, Terry Friesen and Trevor Koenig got into a fight at Center Ice.

I think the Falcons biggest problem was the Economy and their move to the Save Mart Center. They lost a lot of money after they left Selland Arena and they just couldn't fill the new Arena.

Fresno State Football hasn't been the same since Reggie Bush ran all over them in one of the best College Football games I've ever seen back in 2005. That was their peak, and it's been all down Hill since then.

If the people you know from Atwater are around 28 years old then I probably know them. Small towns. lol

Ahh, Steve Martinson coached hockey, gotta love it.

That fresno state game against usc back in 05 was great. It was Greg Spenrath i was thinking of ( Can we sign him buffalo ) The falcons should of never left selland arena, the save mart center was brand new and i didnt think it showed the game of hockey like selland arena did (more of a basketball arena) The folks i know in atwater are alittle older but alot of my Dos Palos buddies that are my age live in merced. So why did you move ? I no why i did.

Archived