Jim Balsillie would have made for a lousy owner

FogBat

An investor in his company who is upset that the stock price dropped during an economic downturn suggests he should do something to increase the stock price. He agrees to look at it.

That means he would make a bad NHL owner? I think he would be a bad NHL owner for a dozen reasons, but I don't hate Balsillie so much that I need to make them up out whole cloth.

An investor in his company who is upset that the stock price dropped during an economic downturn suggests he should do something to increase the stock price. He agrees to look at it.

That means he would make a bad NHL owner? I think he would be a bad NHL owner for a dozen reasons, but I don't hate Balsillie so much that I need to make them up out whole cloth.

Sometimes the innovators have been known to change things up to keep their companies not just afloat but thriving even in this global recession. Having said that, Balsillie may be tech savvy but I don't think he knows how to adapt to the current market forces. Granted, he may have come out with different variations on his Blackberry, but it doesn't have the market appeal that it once did.

EDIT: a couple of other thoughts. Given that Balsillie wanted to remain a co-CEO with Mike Laziridis, I have to wonder how he would run a hockey team. Would he be more hands-on while still letting his FO do what they need to do, or would he be a micro-manager like Dan Snyder is with the Washington Redskins?

Archived