Sabres in the Hockey Hall of Fame

Eleven

Eight former Sabres are Hall of Famers, and certainly a ninth, Dominik Hasek, will be there soon. So here's my question on a cloudy Sunday monring: Which of them are truly Sabres Hall of Famers? In other words, if this were baseball and the player is inducted wearing a certain team's cap, which players would be wearing a Buffalo cap?

My opinion: Perreault, obvious. Hasek, when he gets there, because although he won his Cup elsewhere, he "arrived" as a Sabre and won six Vezinas and two Harts here.

Serious questions as to Hawerchuck and LaFontaine. I suspect that Hawerchuk is considered a Jet by most of the hockey world, and LaFontaine, while his number is retired here (which I find questionable) and while he was captain here and had his best season here, really didn't play too many full seasons in Buffalo. (On the other hand, is he really in the HOF because of his play with the Islanders?)

The remaining five, no way: Duff, Horton, Fuhr, Gillies, Gilmour.

Hasek said he didn't want to be enshrined as a Sabre. If he still feels that way I'm good with excluding him from the list. His choice. I don't feel any overwhelming urge to try to convince him otherwise.

Hawerchuck is a Jet IMO. He was a support player here. I think LaFontaine had his best years in Buffalo and if he wants it, I would support him being enshrined as a Sabre. I don't think his legacy on any other team is any greater than his legacy here.

I guess that leaves Perreault as the only obvious Sabre enshrinee. Given our history and lack of team success, I think it's probably appropriate.

Eight former Sabres are Hall of Famers, and certainly a ninth, Dominik Hasek, will be there soon. So here's my question on a cloudy Sunday monring: Which of them are truly Sabres Hall of Famers? In other words, if this were baseball and the player is inducted wearing a certain team's cap, which players would be wearing a Buffalo cap?

My opinion: Perreault, obvious. Hasek, when he gets there, because although he won his Cup elsewhere, he "arrived" as a Sabre and won six Vezinas and two Harts here.

Serious questions as to Hawerchuck and LaFontaine. I suspect that Hawerchuk is considered a Jet by most of the hockey world, and LaFontaine, while his number is retired here (which I find questionable) and while he was captain here and had his best season here, really didn't play too many full seasons in Buffalo. (On the other hand, is he really in the HOF because of his play with the Islanders?)

The remaining five, no way: Duff, Horton, Fuhr, Gillies, Gilmour.

Before Pegula mended fences with Dom, I would say 60/40 that he goes in a Wing. Now I give the Sabres a 80/20. Patty is a tough one. 50/50 on him. The rest I agree no way in hell going in as a Sabre

Just a quick question, do hockey players go in as a member of one team or another? I thought it was only a issue in baseball because they are wearing ball caps on their plaque.

I don't think they go in with a specific team. This is all hypothetical.

Archived